Thread: Mirena Coil Side Effects

Mirena Coil Side Effects

Hi, I had the Mirena coil fitted just over 3 weeks ago. Not for contraceptive purposes, but because I keep getting anaemic due to heavy periods. The doctor recommended Mirena as a way of dealing with this.

Anyway, I've had spotting constantly since I had it fitted. I've read that everyone's different and this can go on for some time, but it's still disconcerting! I've had cramping on and off too - quite badly a couple days ago although it did subside after a few hours. But my biggest issue is really bad tenderness in my breasts! It started about a week ago and hasn't improved since. I used to get it for maybe a day per month around ovulation, but this is just constant. I'm just assuming that it is Mirena related and that my body is adjusting to the hormones. But every morning that I wake up and the breast pain is still there, it's so demoralising. Then I'll get the spotting and some cramping and think "Why am I putting my body through this!?!" Also, my husband can feel the strings during intercourse, which is a bit of a mood killer . So I guess I just want to know if others that have had the Mirena coil have had similar issues? Did it take long to improve?

I'm going back to get the strings checked (and a cervical polyp removed) in about a month, so I'll discuss all this with the doctor then, but it feels like a long time to wait! Anyone got personal experience of any of this? Thanks.

Re: Mirena Coil Side Effects

I've got a Mirena coil. I've had one for about 17 years I think (not the same one of course). Thinking back many years I think I did get spotting way back when and some cramping. I also used to get sore boobs quite a bit, especially in the lead up to what would have been my period. My husband could feel the string with one of them, he said he used to get a little prickle now and again, but it settled down after a while.

I would say if you're worried about anything talk to the nurse at the GP's or the doctor. I think it may well be it just settling in. After all this time I must say I'm glad I had it, even though I'm too old to have periods now, it was a relief for me because mine went completely. I still got PMT, bit no bleeding.

Re: Mirena Coil Side Effects

Thank you Catkins! That is reassuring. My sister has one and never had any side effects, so it's good to hear from others that have.

Thread Information