Thread: Dental Worries

Dental Worries

Hi I'm Inspector Javert:

You might remember me from such Health Anxiety spirals as "Ninja Bat" and "Ninja Bat 2: Ninja Cat."

So whats bothering me now is pain in my teeth. I have a dentist appointment in September and that's the earliest I can get at the moment other than just showing up in the morning and hoping someone cancels. I do have a cavity in one of my teeth that is pretty big and my dentist wants to do an entire exam and cleaning before making any other plans. So in the interim I'm worrying about the pain I feel (and there's a good chance its all in my head or related to my allergies) and it potentially turning into an abscess and going to my brain and killing me.

On the less HA influenced side of my mind I"m worried I might wind up needing another root canal and crown, since my insurance is maxed out (seriously **** dental insurance maximums how the hell can they justify keeping them at the same level as when Nixon was president) and the other plan I've been carrying doesn't cover major procedures like that. Which means another huge dental bill.

Thanks for being there for me guys I'm hoping soon I can get onto a regular therapy schedule and this majority of this will be behind me.

Re: Dental Worries

I would assume the pain is from the cavity - that can cause a lot of sensitivity. And yes, it could also be allergies. Everything is connected. I had a crown put on a tooth years ago and 90% of the time it doesn't bother me at all, but if my sinuses are irritated I'll get pain in that tooth because it inflames the nerve just enough to irritate it. I can end up with pain all across that side of my mouth. I once went to an endodontist thinking I'd need a root canal finally because of how painful it was and I was wrong!

I feel you on the cost of dental care in this godforsaken country. I've had all the dental procedures and it's just madness. I've had a missing tooth for 20 years that my dentist is constantly telling me I should get replaced with an implant and I'm like - ok, if you want to foot the $5000 bill!

I wouldn't worry too much about infection. I've also had infections and I ended up with a sore on my gum above the affected tooth. It was super obvious I had an infection and even then it wasn't a big deal.

Since you're in pain, I would call and ask if you can get on a wait list in case someone cancels before your September appointment.

Re: Dental Worries

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector javert View Post
    So whats bothering me now is pain in my teeth. I have a dentist appointment in September and that's the earliest I can get at the moment other than just showing up in the morning and hoping someone cancels. I do have a cavity in one of my teeth that is pretty big and my dentist wants to do an entire exam and cleaning before making any other plans. So in the interim I'm worrying about the pain I feel (and there's a good chance its all in my head or related to my allergies) and it potentially turning into an abscess and going to my brain and killing me.
    I've had a dental abscess and there was no doubt as to the reason for the pain (mine was throbby and very painful) but antibiotics sorted it out and then the tooth was removed...

On the less HA influenced side of my mind I"m worried I might wind up needing another root canal and crown, since my insurance is maxed out (seriously **** dental insurance maximums how the hell can they justify keeping them at the same level as when Nixon was president) and the other plan I've been carrying doesn't cover major procedures like that. Which means another huge dental bill.
    Depending on where the tooth is, you could opt for a fashionable gap? (I went with gap with one extraction and a crown on the other)

Maybe phone your dentist and tell them that you require an earlier appointment because you're in pain?

Thread Information