Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Escitalopram and insomnia

Escitalopram and insomnia

Been on sertraline since December and my anxiety has been awful probably some of the worst few months I’ve had in a long while spoke to gp and he changed me back to escitalopram that I have been on before started on 5mg but last few nights have had terrible insomnia I usually take the tablet in the evening would the effects be less if I took it in the morning tia

Re: Escitalopram and insomnia

I took mine in the evening. First 4 weeks were very bad, but the sleep eventually got better. How long since you changed back to escitalopram?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by smogie View Post
    Been on sertraline since December and my anxiety has been awful probably some of the worst few months I’ve had in a long while
    How much sertraline were you taking?

last few nights have had terrible insomnia I usually take the tablet in the evening would the effects be less if I took it in the morning
    Switching the time of day you take it is worth a shot. Escitalopram plasma levels will settle to a steady state after about a week at the same dose and then not varying much over 24 hours so in theory it shouldn't make a difference, but in practice it sometimes does. Let your GP know if it doesn't help.

I was on 50mg sertraline then had it upped to 100mg as I was really bad but don’t think it was helping am just on 5mg of escitalopram this is day 8

I take mine in the morning with no ill effects.

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.

this is day 8
    When I called my GP with a similar problem, she mentioned that I should wait approx 4-5 weeks. She said that escitalopram usually makes you feel worse before it will make you feel better. She was right, and the sleep problems were sorted after 4 weeks. I hope this will be the case for you too!

Thanks everyone took it in the morning yesterday slept better but not feeling great this morning but sickly n dizzy �� god it’s never ending

Hang in there smogie! Max. 3 more weeks and you'll feel better again! If you feel that it's too much maybe you could ask your GP to prescribe you some benzodiazepines to take the edge off a little while you adjust to escitalopram?I got it from my GP and they were a life saver.

I was on 50mg sertraline then had it upped to 100mg as I was really bad but don’t think it was helping am just on 5mg of escitalopram this is day 8
    Few do well on 50mg sertraline with most needing 100-150mg for a good result, some the maximum 200mg. It can take 4-8 weeks for a dose increase to make a difference.

Did you do a straight switch from 100mg sertraline to 5mg escitalopram, a cross taper, or wean off sertraline before starting escitalopram?

took it in the morning yesterday slept better but not feeling great this morning but sickly n dizzy
    Unfortunately, the initial side-effects can be tough and they tend to be more severe and/or different if you've been on the AD before, however, the results are usually worth the trauma. All that you can do is treat the symptoms as they arise. That and keeping busy. Go for a walk, read a book, play video games, watch TV, anything to occupy the mind. Distraction does work.

Hi I did a wean off the sertraline but not for very long I’m keeping very busy have a lot going on!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information