Thread: Sudden blackening of vision for 4-5 seconds then back to normal.

Sudden blackening of vision for 4-5 seconds then back to normal.

Hey hope everyone is doing well.

I had a really scary thing happen on Sunday but thankfully it hasn't happened again.

Basically my vision just went black for 5 seconds while my eyes were open then it went back to normal. It was terrifying. It went away though so I have booked a GP appointment ASAP. There were no other symptoms.

I have been worrying about TIAs or eye damage as a result of this.

I was wondering if this has happened to anyone before.

Re: Sudden blackening of vision for 4-5 seconds then back to normal.

Anyone had anything similar or any thoughts on this ?.

I haven't experienced this before, but I just wanted to check in and ask if you're okay
    Sounds like it was a one off experience, but it's always a good idea to get checked out by your GP with something like that. They will be able to look at your eyes to rule out any pressure on the optic nerves. I would say, if it happens again, and you're losing your eyesight out of the blue like that, I'd skip waiting on a GP and take yourself to A&E.
    Last edited by WorryRaptor; 12-08-22 at 17:23.

Yeah I'm OK at the moment. Just a lot of anxiety about it. Have booked a gp but it not for about 10 days. Yeah, I thought so do. I was worried it was a mini stroke/tia. Is that what you were thinking?.

My thoughts would go to TIA. I'd get it checked out, this is definitely a better safe than sorry situation.

Quote Originally Posted by theclusk1 View Post
    Yeah I'm OK at the moment. Just a lot of anxiety about it. Have booked a gp but it not for about 10 days. Yeah, I thought so do. I was worried it was a mini stroke/tia. Is that what you were thinking?.
    TIA was something that came to mind, yes, but only a doctor can tell you. It might be worth trying to get an earlier appointment with your GP. Not that I'm saying this is anything bad, but usually a symptom like that would warrant a faster visit.

Were you doing anything when it happened? Like, did you stand up too fast or anything?

Quote Originally Posted by WorryRaptor View Post
    Were you doing anything when it happened? Like, did you stand up too fast or anything?
    That was my first thought... orthostatic hypotension. TIA never crossed my mind and there were no other symptoms or anything since. I've actually had that happen and nearly pass out. It was due to a combo of standing up up too quickly and BP meds.

FMP
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Also the heat ...BP can drop in temperatures like this especially if you are tired and a bit dehydrated.

Thread Information