Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anxious bowels

Re: Anxious bowels

Perhaps it’s Piriformis?

Quote Originally Posted by NoraB View Post
    I knew I could count on you P...
    All these symptoms could add up to a routine case of poor posture/poor muscle tone. Why not try some muscle stretches as suggested ? Stretch out your glutes..Do a spot of DIY physio.

Quote Originally Posted by phil06 View Post
    Perhaps it’s Piriformis?
    'Good afternoon! I'd like to make an appointment with Dr. Google please'

As has been said, it could very well be a poor posture/muscle related issue. Add to the the psychological aspect and here you are.

FMP
    Last edited by Fishmanpa; 15-08-22 at 23:43.
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    All these symptoms could add up to a routine case of poor posture/poor muscle tone. Why not try some muscle stretches as suggested ? Stretch out your glutes..Do a spot of DIY physio.
    I could try that no idea how long I need it do it for weeks months years. I did 2 min stretches one day and noticed an improvement before just I am a bit lazy to do them daily

Quote Originally Posted by phil06 View Post
    I don’t really understand why anxiety causes pain which may be my ignorance and becoming fixated on it asking why but not doing something to distract. I admit I am a bit lazy about my addictions or anxiety issues I hope a magic wand will take it away? Why often it does as I fixate on something else. Today I had a tension headache so most other pains left me whilst I had that. Perhaps my mind can control my backside pain
    Anxiety causes pain in the body. For example, muscle tension.

Before I go any further, raise your arms in the air and keep them raised until you start to feel your muscles burn and shake; until you feel pain. (This is so that you understand how tensed muscle can cause pain)

When we're anxious, we tense parts of our bodies, often without realising we're doing it. (My tension areas are my jaw, abdomen, and my buttocks)

I have developed TMJ because of constant tension in my jaw. Anxiety causes the tension; the pain is real. When I focus on the discomfort in my jaw, the pain is worse. It's natural to tense against pain rather than relax into it but tensing makes things worse. Because my pain is on the left side, I am trying not to use that side, so I am using my jaw in a different way to my norm. This causes other problems because now the right side of my mouth is aching due to using muscles I don't always use. The same happened when I had the problem in my buttock (from sitting on my bum for too long) and I started to use my body in a way that took pressure off that area. So, then I started to get problems on the other side because my body wasn't accustomed to moving in that way. Anxious people mistake this for some awful disease that 'must be spreading' but the reality is that it's just because we're using our bodies in a different way to compensate for the discomfort in the original area. (It's very simple when you understand it.)

Re your headache.

I have fibromyalgia which means lots of symptoms - sometimes numerous symptoms in one day. My brain will focus on the symptom that's giving me the most pain. We have our own little triage system going on in our bodies. Headache trumps achy bum Phil. Achy bum is still there, but your body needs you to address the headache. Once the headache goes, you will notice the achy bum again. It never went away. This is biology, not magic. The only thing that will sort this achy bum out for you is to exercise and strengthen that area. We're not meant to sit down for long periods of time. Your achy bum is your body telling you to get moving. Your anxiety is amplifying the situation. I had migraines last week and unsurprisingly I didn't notice my jaw pain. That's because migraine trumps achy gob. (It's simple when you understand it)

I don't know about 'mind controlling' your achy bum away, Phil. Personally, having had experience of physical issues from spending long periods of time sat on my @rse, I think you're going to need a little more than mind control! You're going to have to do exercises to strengthen that area up. Your glutes (buttocks) are a group of muscles that are designed to be worked constantly. As with all muscles, when they're not used worked, they weaken and with the buttocks, this means less 'cushioning' to protect what's underneath. My achy bum went away because I did the exercises. So, if you want to get your mind around anything, get it around strengthening your @rse muscles (and also how anxiety absolutely causes and amplifies pain)

“Anxious people mistake this for some awful disease that 'must be spreading'.”

Yes I already can’t look far into future I mentioned I hear about people with illness often I get thought like I’m doomed and won’t survive it. The pain is one issue health anxiety is awful as you spend your life worrying about illness. For a while I was free of health anxiety but now if pain comes like you you I worry it’s serious. The therapist tried to reassure me that there would be other symptoms ect but doesn’t always relax me. I maybe need to do some work on the health anxiety. For most a slight pain no issues they move on for me it became a big worry.

But yes I need to do the exercises and it may help if it helped you and it’s better it may help me. Slouching or sitting an alternative way standing and lying down all helps. When the mattress first dug into me I had pain in all above so perhaps it is healing but I don’t notice each improvement? I told myself the mattress don’t damage and I’ve never got over that thought. And then I clung to negative news. I am pleased to say the holiday did help me despite me worrying. In my head the pain is life debilitating but in reality it’s a minor ache and can still do stuff.

But yes I know I need help for my health anxiety. Any doctor would just ask same questions any red flag symptoms and I explain the mattress and that may be a cause. I have did research on these pains and often they do just go away one day. I don’t understand it’s like that. I think the gambling topic helped both on this site and gambling help as it gave me a greater understanding of what’s going on. And same with the pains the above post helps me understand. It doesn’t stop me worrying daily but I think health anxiety is like that and needs further help.

Today my backside wasn’t too bad then a house repair came up and it got worse. I think it shows how the anxiety turns up the pain. I don’t know how I can relax and accept this pain and not get health anxiety? It’s not getting my worse probably better other than odd flair up but I can’t relax I mean when I lay back it’s good when I slouch it’s good and stand only sitting so does that mean it’s actually healing? When it first came all ached whatever way I was
    Last edited by phil06; 16-08-22 at 20:28.

Quote Originally Posted by NoraB View Post
    Fraction? (I'm having a flashback to a stuffy mobile classroom sometime in the 80s and my maths teacher is asking me. 'Now do you understand?')

Do you mean friction?

So, your list...

Incomplete dump (check)
    Burning feeling (check)
    Friction feeling (not entirely sure what you mean?)
    Bum ache (check)
    Churning stomach (and nausea, check)

I can add another one...

Feels like I'm shitting a glass shard. (This one I'm putting down to the weather)

And another...

Poo gets stuck. (Have to waddle away from the bathroom with bog roll wedged between my @rse cheeks)

Here's another one..

Smelly farts (I'm talking eggy type ones which burn the nostrils)

One more?

Seeing stars as I bear down to push that last bit of poo out. (It feels like I'm birthing a baby's arm; in reality there's a turd the size of a raisin floating around the pan!)

I have anxiety, fibromyalgia, IBS, piles, an intermittent fissure, and my colon no likey heatwaves. (Hope this helps!)
    NoraB your messages make me laugh so much that I swear my anxiety decreases when I read them. Thank you!!!

I'm sure Nora will be delighted to read your message, sial..She has such a wonderful way with words, doesn't she..even when describing her daily defaecation struggles and grisly gastro gurglings!

Quote Originally Posted by sial72 View Post
    NoraB your messages make me laugh so much that I swear my anxiety decreases when I read them. Thank you!!!
    Happy to be of service.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information