Thread: Bat Exposure?

Bat Exposure?

Hello,

two days ago I started my vacation in Albania and ended up in a rural area (a village). After sunset I decided to go outside and explore my surroundings. While standing still, I saw a bat behind me fly away on my left (1-2 metres away). During this time it could have scratched/bitten me on my back/neck without me noticing.

Shortly after, my neck started having a burning sensation and I had a close family member check me for any signs of an attack, although they could not find anything. But I doubt you could find a bat bite/scratch in my hair very easily.
    Now my question is: Is it possible that the bat attacked me and that the burning sensation is a result of that?
    I haven't really been able to sleep since that incident and thought about getting the vaccine when Im back home in two weeks, but would that really be necessary?
    Any help would be very much appreciated.

Sorry for any writing errors, English is not my native language
    Last edited by Geteus; 18-08-22 at 11:49.

Re: Bat Exposure?

I believe you would have definitely have felt it I it had scratched or bitten you.

You would have felt the bat. Think about when even a tiny insect collides with you. You feel something, even if its just a quick flick. A bat is considerably larger than that, and you would definitely feel the impact of one on your scalp. It also wouldn't fly past your head and bite you in a millisecond, it would have to land and find purchase to bite or scratch, and probably get tangled in your hair in meantime. You most certainly would have felt that.

The fact it flew quicky past you and was a good 2 meters away suggest that was a healthy bat doing bat things. They're very good at avoiding us as they fly, and it sounds like that bat gave you lots of space

It sounds like the burning sensation might have been brought on by anxiety over a possible bat bite. I get random patches of burning skin when I'm scared something bit me.

Great reply WorryRaptor

Thread Information