Page 1 of 47 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: On The Ball..The Trials and Tribulations of A Football Fan

On The Ball..The Trials and Tribulations of A Football Fan

I've followed football since I was 10 and a Man U fan for my sins. My hero was Brian Kidd (Kiddo) and posters of him filled my bedroom...My Dad had always been a Red as he was born and bred in Manchester and he took me along to my first game versus our local team Palace..and then I became converted and have followed Palace ever since..

Re: On The Ball..The Trials and Tribulations of A Football Fan

Yay, a footie thread…

I didn’t know you were a Man Utd supporter Pulisa…..fancy defecting to Palace

Ok me, I have been a Man Utd supporter for over 40 years. Lately it’s been hard, very hard. Not sure what’s going on. Is it the managers, the Glaziers, the players?

I feel it’s the players. this shambolic group have seen off Van Gaal, Mourinho, Solksjaer and I don’t fancy Erik TH chances after this season.

So yes, too many years a red to give up now but I’m sure Monday will bring more woes.

Ghost…Spillways

A truly inspired thread Pulisa!! Oh so we had the potential for two Man Utd fans on here then.

OK growing up I was the youngest of four siblings. My two elder brothers (as we're located in rural Northamptonshire), followed Liverpool. I wanted to be different so chose the blue half of Merseyside. They would joke about Everton which made me feel sorry for them. So I condemned myself to a life of misery.

On a local level I keep an eye on Northampton Town's progress. I used to go and see them play before anxiety took off. The way things are going Everton v Northampton Town might only be a couple of seasons away.

Top thread!

Liverpool for me, especially the 1980s when they were winning everything ha ha (also, Kenny Dalglish was fit, as was Ian Rush)

I named one of my kids after one of my favourite Liverpool players (Luckily Mr Batty also considered this particular player to be a demi-God)

Many a happy hour was spent with my dad watching Liverpool play on TV. I was watching the footie; my brother was in the kitchen with my mum's pinny on. That's how we rolled in our house.

Pulisa, I have seen Man United play live albeit it wasn't the first team they put out as it was a friendly against Port Vale or Stoke (Can't remember). I got to see Roy Keane play though (And I've always liked him)

I'm also into watching the Lionesses play. In my day, girls played netball and some other shite and boys played football and cricket. Thankfully things have changed and girls can access these sports more easily. I believe that half of schools have these sports on their curriculum for girls now? It should be accessible to all girls but at least we're heading in the right direction, eh?

In terms of local football, you were either Port Vale or Stoke City. My dad and eldest brother were Stoke fans, but I was born up the road from Port Vale ground, so they get the soft spot in my heart. (Also, Motorhead played there)

I used to enjoy the habitual relegation dogfights and the dark days of Administration at Palace under Neil Warnock..Doing well in the Prem isn't really what Palace do. It's far too corporate now for my liking. I had a season ticket again recently but had to give up going when my son got ill. That ground is falling apart but it's got character!

I reckon Everton will have a struggle again this season under Lampard. Not sure whether he's up to managing in the Prem..There's always Wayne Rooney once he's finished in the US!

Man U will come good again once they've got rid of the dross/divas. I reckon they'll beat Liverpool tomorrow night and all will be forgiven..

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post

Man U will come good again once they've got rid of the dross/divas.
    Isn't this the age of the footie diva though P? I mean, back in the day footballers had three pints during half time, several pies, and came off the pitch looking like they'd been mud wrestling. If they took a boot to the face, they carried on playing with blood dripping off their faces. And all for a tenner a week! These days, it's all snazzy haircuts and poncy diving when no bugger's been anywhere near them!

In all honesty, when it comes to management, Man U had one of the best there's ever been in Fergie. The way he chewed that gum. (I bet he has TMJ) The flying boots in the changing rooms. Dude got results though!

Man U could do with him coming out of retirement (when he's finished being a character witness for Giggsy)

Ah yes, if only Fergie would come back…not gonna happen though. I wonder what he thinks of the current situation? I see him on the TV watching, pan faced. It must hurt.

Mr.D said yesterday that McGuire was off on a swop with Chelsea. He may or may not have been winding me up. He’s not brilliant but I’d take him over Fred, McTominay or Shaw. Utter dross. I do wonder why Ronaldo gets paid his wages. He’s all name and very little goals atm.

Anyhoo, this afternoon is Leeds v Chelsea…If you want me I’ll be supporting Chelsea because Mr.D is Leeds fan and seeing he would support Satans 11 rather than see ManU win, I always return the insult.

Ghost…Spillways

I think Fergie is secretly delighted that no manager has come up to scratch since his departure..and I think his continued presence at OT must be a real pain for the current manager and his team..Ronaldo could do with a blast from his hairdryer though.

What did Mr D think of Bielsa? I know he's gone now but he was quite a cult hero despite his eccentricities. Did a lot for the community in Leeds too, I think?

Quote Originally Posted by NoraB View Post
    Top thread!

Liverpool for me, especially the 1980s when they were winning everything ha ha (also, Kenny Dalglish was fit, as was Ian Rush)
    Ahem Nora. 1985 and 87. Everton Champions. The great Howard Kendall team. Southall, Stevens, Mountfield, Ratcliffe, Harper, Steven, Bracewell, Reid, Sheedy, Sharp, Heath.

The fact I have to single out this specific era says it all really

Urghhh someones happy.

Yeah, he rated Bielsa. Just wished he spoke more English.

Ghost…Spillways

Page 1 of 47 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information