Thread: Propranolol concern need advice please Im stressing out

Propranolol concern need advice please Im stressing out

Hi I take proprananol to help with my anxiety. Ive been on various doses over the years and currently take 10 or 20mg per day. Anyway yesterday I stumbled upon an article online saying that BB's can increase or cause diabetes this has really freaked me out. I ended up goggling it and found loads of info on the topic. Mainly info saying that people who take BB's (Propranolol) to lower their blood pressure have an increase risk of getting diabetes. What I can't find though is any info on the dose of BB (propranolol) taken or duration of treatment that causes this raised risk.

The doses taken to lower blood pressure are huge compared to those given for anxiety. What Im trying to find out is if there is a direct link between the amount of propranolol taken and the increased risk of getting daibetes and if there is any risk with the relatively low doses taken for anxiety. The dose to treat high blood pressure is 80mg twice a day and up to 160mg twice a day. None of the studies I've read comment on this they just say taking Propranolol may increase the risk of getting diabetes. Please any info on this will help ease my worried mind thanks Owain

Re: Propranolol concern need advice please Im stressing out

Quote Originally Posted by owainm View Post
    yesterday I stumbled upon an article online saying that BB's can increase or cause diabetes
    I'd appreciate the link so I know what you are referring to?

Mainly info saying that people who take BB's (Propranolol) to lower their blood pressure have an increase risk of getting diabetes. What I can't find though is any info on the dose of BB (propranolol) taken or duration of treatment that causes this raised risk.
    Insulin resistance is a potential propranolol side-effect, but this doesn't mean it will necessarily trigger type II diabetes, plus high blood pressure is itself a diabetes risk factor. The most worrisome potential propranolol side-effect is actually hypoglycaemia, i.e. low blood glucose in type I diabetes.

Anxiety/stress also increases the risk of developing diabetes. Indeed, it is by far the most potent risk factor for premature death as it often precipitates the causes of diabetes, cardiovascular diseases, cancers and other conditions which reduce lifespans.

The doses taken to lower blood pressure are huge compared to those given for anxiety. What Im trying to find out is if there is a direct link between the amount of propranolol taken and the increased risk of getting daibetes and if there is any risk with the relatively low doses taken for anxiety.
    It is likely to be dose dependent.

None of the studies I've read comment on this they just say taking Propranolol may increase the risk of getting diabetes.
    Which studies are you referring to?

Thread Information