Thread: Why does this happen??

Why does this happen??

I woke up this morning around 5.45am heart pounding and feeling like its bouncing all over the place, shaking all over. Ran to the loo as had tummy ache and nausea. Heart rate fluctuating between 88 and 137. So I took a diazepam 2mg. 6.35am now and heart rate back down around 70. I just don't understand why this happened. I was only dreaming about knitting! Glad I'm working from home today because it really frightens me. Does this happen to anyone else?

Re: Why does this happen??

Hi Dee,
    I believe it’s quite common to wake up with a panic attack. That knitting dream must have been quite raucous!
    It’s good that you recognise it for what it is though. X

Quote Originally Posted by Dee62 View Post
    I just don't understand why this happened. I was only dreaming about knitting!
    Tricky pattern, was it?

Does this happen to anyone else?
    Yes. It used to be a daily early morning thing but now it's occasionally...

Thank you both for replying.

It's now 2 hours since I took the diazepam and I'm feeling all twitchy and on edge again, but pulse around 70ish, so normal. I don't want to take any more diazepam if I can help it as I only use them when I really need to. It's like I can feel my heart beating all over my body - in my throat, pounding in my ears. I guess this is what's exacerbating the trembling. Vicious circle isn't it?

I can't remember much about the knitting, but maybe I was getting frustrated with it?!

Dee

This has been going on almost all day. Ectopics, pounding, etc. I took another 2mg diazepam at 5.45pm but doesn't seem to have touched it. I'm so worn out. I feel like I'm constantly battling with these horrible feelings.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee62 View Post

I can't remember much about the knitting, but maybe I was getting frustrated with it?!

Dee
    I knit, Dee. I can either be 'in the zone' click-clacking away while I'm watching TV, or I can be battling it out with a pattern. In the case of the latter, my heart rate goes up. I become irritated. A baby cardigan almost broke me until I realised there was a mistake on the pattern. (But not before I had ripped the chuffer off the needles umpteen times!)

I mean, it's simple really. Any activity which stimulates will affect the heart rate and this is extremely noticeable in people who suffer with anxiety and who've become sensitised. For this reason, I don't knit past 6pm. I don't watch stimulating TV past 6pm. I don't listen to stimulating music. I don't eat or drink. This has to be my chill-out zone or I am likely to have a nocturnal panic attack - and that can happen anytime from when I fall asleep to waking up at 7am (or whatever)

Thread Information