Thread: Is this how agoraphobia happens?

Is this how agoraphobia happens?

Hey everyone!

I'm really struggling right now. So a little backround information about my situation. I've suffered with HA for almost 20 years after my mother passed away. I worry about heart issues, bladder issues, and gastrointestinal. My mother lost her fight with stomach cancer in a very short time. As you can see, I'm totally damaged. I'm 45 and my periods are becoming quite heavy (3 days this time around with intermittent heavy bleeding), this has been going on probably for the last 6 months. It got a bit heavier a few years ago but nothing like this now. My last gyn appointment was 08/2018 and I had a smear and HPV test done at the same time, they came back negative on both and the doctor said I was good for 5 years. He also gave me a script for Norethindrone, but it made my anxiety so bad, I couldn't take it. Now this is happening. I can't get into the doctor until next Friday and the nurse says I have to have a biopsy that day because of the abnormal bleeding. My anxiety is at it's worst. I feel anxious because I'm afraid of a gush at the store and because I'm just afraid of life. I finally got the guts to run to Target today to pick up a few things and I was shaking an sweating just walking to my car from the front door. I did it, but I'm emotional about it and it feels almost like a mix of a hangover. I promised myself that I wouldn't use the restroom inside the store unless it was completely necessary ( I have the issue where I want to keep checking to make sure my cup isn't leaking). I woke up this morning in a panic, fell back asleep and the same thing happened again when I woke up. I DO not want to go outside or anywhere there isn't a bathroom available. I go into the restroom and I just want to cry because I'm so nervous and upset. I'm on 40 mg Prozac and it's been holding well, but these last two months it's just been a landslide for me. Thanks for listening! Julie

Re: Is this how agoraphobia happens?

Hi - what you are experiencing sounds exactly like what happens when one heads into menopause. I was a little bit older than you when things started going haywire, too much bleeding, too little bleeding, no periods, long periods, 3 periods in one month, no period for 3 months, etc. I learned to always be prepared and to wear a pad every single day because you never know what will happen. You could also have fibroids which can cause heavy bleeding.

I don't think you have agoraphobia, with that there is a fear of leaving the house but without a good reason for it. Your reason for not wanting to leave is because you are afraid of a gush and you won't be able to take care of it. So for you there is a reason. If you didn't have that issue you would probably be comfortable with going out whenever and wherever you want.

You can also ask your doctor about getting an ultrasound which will show if you have fibroids. I got terribly nervous when things started going crazy for me, was sure I have the big c (my biggest fear) and had a biopsy, it was normal.

Family Picnic,

"I don't think you have agoraphobia, with that there is a fear of leaving the house but without a good reason for it. Your reason for not wanting to leave is because you are afraid of a gush and you won't be able to take care of it. So for you there is a reason. If you didn't have that issue you would probably be comfortable with going out whenever and wherever you want."

This right here really helps! The period issues are the things that are holding me back right now!! I just need to have faith... Thanks for much for everything!

I agree that this sounds really normal for your age. I’m not sure why they would suggest a biopsy over the phone before even seeing you. Bleeding typically becomes more irregular during perimenopause.

I also agree your anxiety around bleeding out in public doesn’t seem like agoraphobia. I’ve since had a hysterectomy, but my periods were also extremely heavy and it causes me a ton of stress when leaving the house. Consider getting some of those period underwear, like Thinx, to wear as a backup to your menstrual cup for extra peace of mind.

Thank you so much for your reassurance! I guess I was never exposed to women talking about their menses. I think one time my aunt mentioned a heavy period when I was in high school, but that's it. My mother never did. This is worse than getting my first period and being confused/scared. Geez!

Thread Information