Thread: Dual colonoscopy & endoscopy

Dual colonoscopy & endoscopy

My doctor has me booked for a dual colonoscopy and endoscopy on Thursday. It all happened suddenly as the doctor was concerned about my ongoing weight loss and anemia. I can't think about anything but the procedure, I'm so scared of the prep, the process and the results. I keep picturing myself waking up in the recovery room and being told I have Cancer or a lifelong illness. It's a long weekend here and I had to cancel a vacation for this and I'm crying in my 30s, ill and waiting for a procedure while I should be living my life. A friend offered to stay with me during the prep and exam but I'm embarassed about having someone present for the prep in a small apartment, tbh. And it's such a big ask I hate being needy. If anyone's done the procedure I could use some encouragement. Can't wait for it to be over.

Re: Dual colonoscopy & endoscopy

I've had a couple of endoscopes and honestly they were fine, I had sedation for both and once the medication started it was a relief to feel relaxed. My husband had a colonoscopy at the end of last year and to be honest it wasn't as bad as he thought it was going to be, the prep wasn't pleasant, but not completely awful.

Hang on in there.

Thanks Cat, I am glad I'll be sedated for it at least.

I'm worried about going alone because I am single and have no family in the area. Hoping I can at least get a friend to pick me up. I know it is a routine procedure not likely to go wrong.

I’m still anxious about this, my procedure was moved to the 23rd because of my c diff diagnosis. I’m positive they’re going to find something wrong with me.

Hang on in there not long to go now.

I had a colonoscopy and endoscopy and being the first time I was scared too. I think the prep was worse than the procedure tbh but it's just a lot of toilet trips actually. The procedure is quick and easy and I was asleep for it. Woke up moments later with good news that they found nothing. I too had lost a lot of weight so there was some worry there. Turns out it was all due to anxiety. I had no ill effects afterwards. Went straight home with huge relief. They told me it's a good thing to have this procedure so if there's anything that shows up they can address the problem immediately. The anticipation is the worst, I know. I got lorazapam to take for the week before so I could stay calm.⁷

Thread Information