Thread: ALS worries and twitching

ALS worries and twitching

Hi everyone,

I'm new here and have had worries and anxiety surrounding ALS for over a year now.

I've been twitching all over my body for over a year (which is what started the worry) and have managed to suppress it until lately. I started noticing a lot of twitching mainly on the muscle underneath my left thumb. This has been quite a lot and it is been both physical (I can see the twitching) as well as feeling it.

It started about 6 weeks ago, and I have been to the doctor twice since (the most recent time was yesterday!). She did my reflexes and strength tests and assured me everything was normal. She said that my right hand is slightly stronger, but that this is normal because I am right handed. I am trying not to worry that this means that my left hand is starting to deteriorate.

Since it started, I had a period of about 2 weeks where I barely noticed it and it reduced a lot. But in the last week it has gone full force again which has gotten me worried. It also started again when I came down badly with tonsillitis, and I have read online that viral infections can trigger twitching.

Does anyone have any words of wisdom or advice for me? Trying my best not worry or panic.

Thanks so much.

Re: ALS worries and twitching

Read THIS as many times as you need to.

FMP
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Thenar/thumb twitching - very anxious

Hi everyone,
    I have had twitching all over my body for over a year now but in the past few weeks I have had twitching in my left thenar muscle which has really been concerning me. I was wondering if anyone else has had the same or similar? I just can't seem to shake the fear that this is ALS (I am 24 years old btw).
    It started at the end of July, and lasted about a week or so. It then pretty much subsided completely and I felt so much more relaxed. Then 2-3 weeks ago it started again (has been about 6-7 weeks since it first started), and it has really been worrying me. I would add that it started again when I came down with a nasty throat infection and a high fever - I have read that BFS can be triggered by viral infections?
    Anyway, I last went to my GP a week ago for some reassurance. She tested my reflexes and strength and said that everything was fine and that she wasn't concerned. She noticed that my left thenar and strength was slightly less than my right, but added that this was completely normal because I am right handed.
    About the twitching, I can sometimes both feel and see it, but often I can just see it. It sometimes makes my whole thumb move, and also seems to be triggered often (but not always) by me using that muscle. I also have noticed it has been worse in the mornings than any other part of the day.
    I also have been more recently having hand / arm aches on my left side and around that muscle. I'm not sure if it could be because of over strength-testing on myself?
    When it started up again (2-3 weeks ago), it was really bad - I was waking up in the middle of the night and it was twitching constantly. Now it seems to be less frequent than that, but is still troubling me and really causing a lot of anxiety!
    Has anyone had any similar experiences to me? Would be really helpful to know!

Re: Thenar/thumb twitching - very anxious

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    Read THIS as many times as you need to.
    Especially the part about twitching.

FMP
    Last edited by Fishmanpa; 15-09-22 at 17:16.
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

New ALS concerns

Hi everyone,

So as per my recent post, I started get thenar twitching about 6-7 weeks ago. I most recently went to the doctor 1.5 weeks ago and was reassured by strength, no atrophy, and normal reflexes.

However, in the past week (when the twitching has flared up again), I have been so focused on it and noticed fatigue in my hand as a whole and sometimes my forearm. This has really panicked me as I remember months ago googling symptoms of ALS and seeing 'arm fatigue' as a symptom. I feel like I am spiralling again and feel so worried.

I feel like I am able to do everything normally, but just sometimes my hand/arm feels fatigued after doing them.

Any insight would be much appreciated. Thank you

Re: ALS worries and twitching

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your thread was merged with another of your threads.

Please when posting on similar topics add it onto your previous post rather than starting a new one.

It is nothing personal it is just to make it easier for people to follow your story and to give you advice as a whole.

Emmz

nolite te basstardes carborundorum

Thread Information