Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tapering off after 7 weeks 7.5mg per day. All I read are horror stories..

Tapering off after 7 weeks 7.5mg per day. All I read are horror stories..

Hi all!

I have been taking 7.5mg (1/2 15mg tablet) every day for 7 weeks and would really like to quit.

It has helped me get through a difficult period but since I can finally see a psychologist and I now know where the anxiety and poor sleep comes from, I am ready to face it without medication.

On the internet, and especially on Facebook, I only read horror stories about people trying to quit or having quit. This makes me a bit anxious...

According to my doctor, I can just stop right away because it is a low dose and I have been taking it for a fairly short time. According to a psychologist (who has no further contact with my doctor), this is also possible, but there is no harm in going from 7.5 to 3.75 for 1-2 weeks first and then stopping.

I have never taken medication before so this is my first time.

By the way, I have already bought some supplements, should this help me:

Vitamin C
    Vitamin D
    Turmeric
    Omega-3
    Magnesium Bisglynicate
    Valerian
    Lemon balm
    Melatonin
    Rhodiola

Can anyone give me any reassurance or advice on this? And what are your (positive) experiences?
    Thanks a lot!

Kind regards,
    Last edited by erik1979; 13-09-22 at 16:06.

Re: Tapering off after 7 weeks 7.5mg per day. All I read are horror stories..

Quote Originally Posted by erik1979 View Post
    According to my doctor, I can just stop right away because it is a low dose and I have been taking it for a fairly short time. According to a psychologist (who has no further contact with my doctor), this is also possible, but there is no harm in going from 7.5 to 3.75 for 1-2 weeks first and then stopping.
    You shouldn't have major withdrawal effects from quitting as you've only been on half the usual minimum dose for 7 weeks. Dependency usually takes much longer to develop. However, psychology is at least as important as chemistry in withdrawal. Believe you will suffer greatly and an anxious mind is very capable of delivering your worst nightmare so by all means wean off by taking half your current dose for 8-10 days before stopping if this eases your mind.

By the way, I have already bought some supplements, should this help me:

Vitamin C
    Vitamin D
    Turmeric
    Omega-3
    Magnesium Bisglynicate
    Valerian
    Lemon balm
    Melatonin
    Rhodiola
    The omega-3 fish oil, magnesium and possibly valerian may ease anxiety and melatonin for insomnia, but I doubt the others will have much impact. Eating a healthy diet is more likely to have a positive effect on your mental state than taking supplements.

Thumbs up Re: Tapering off after 7 weeks 7.5mg per day. All I read are horror stories..

Quote Originally Posted by panic_down_under View Post
    You shouldn't have major withdrawal effects from quitting as you've only been on half the usual minimum dose for 7 weeks. Dependency usually takes much longer to develop. However, psychology is at least as important as chemistry in withdrawal. Believe you will suffer greatly and an anxious mind is very capable of delivering your worst nightmare so by all means wean off by taking half your current dose for 8-10 days before stopping if this eases your mind.

The omega-3 fish oil, magnesium and possibly valerian may ease anxiety and melatonin for insomnia, but I doubt the others will have much impact. Eating a healthy diet is more likely to have a positive effect on your mental state than taking supplements.
    Thanks. This reassures me somewhat.I reduced the dose to 5.0 last Friday as a "test". I was slightly dizzy this afternoon (4-5 days after lowering) but otherwise not bothered by anything. The dizziness could also be due to stress.
    Next Friday I want to go from 5.0 to 3.75. According to many, this way of tapering is much too fast…
    The number of weeks using it and my low starting dose will hopefully make a difference!

And that your brain can also cause physical issues..I know all about! Tension and stress have caused me many strange complaints. Through mindfulness, meditation and breathing exercises, I am getting better and better at controlling this.

Judging by your nickname, are you from Oz?

Next Friday I want to go from 5.0 to 3.75. According to many, this way of tapering is much too fast…
    You'll find many different, convoluted, and often contradictory, recommendations for quitting online. Not all the issues people have are necessarily due to the med. Often the real problem is the condition the AD was being taken for. I suggest you take it all with a very large dollop of salt lest you talk yourself into having the very problems you fear.

And that your brain can also cause physical issues..I know all about! Tension and stress have caused me many strange complaints. Through mindfulness, meditation and breathing exercises, I am getting better and better at controlling this.
    The mindfulness and cognitive/behavioural therapies can be at least as effective as ADs for anxiety and depression. They both work via the same neurogenesis mechanism. The difficulty usually is accessing a therapist.

Judging by your nickname, are you from Oz?
    Guilty. I'm down in the more polar region of Tasmania.

You'll find many different, convoluted, and often contradictory, recommendations for quitting online. Not all the issues people have are necessarily due to the med. Often the real problem is the condition the AD was being taken for. I suggest you take it all with a very large dollop of salt lest you talk yourself into having the very problems you fear.

The mindfulness and cognitive/behavioural therapies can be at least as effective as ADs for anxiety and depression. They both work via the same neurogenesis mechanism. The difficulty usually is accessing a therapist.

Guilty. I'm down in the more polar region of Tasmania.

Totally agree.
    I have been on 5.0 since last Friday and so far so good! As I said, I might be a little bit dizzy and slight cold symptoms but that is negligible.

My idea is to go to 3.75 next Friday. What would you do in my case?
    for me the reason for starting mirt was insomnia for a couple of days due to stress.

ah Tasmania! Never been there but love Australia!

My idea is to go to 3.75 next Friday. What would you do in my case?
    I would have taken half the 7.5mg, i.e. 3.75mg, for a week and then quit.

for me the reason for starting mirt was insomnia for a couple of days due to stress.
    So why did that turn into 7 weeks?

It is usually very effective for insomnia, it is really just a very sedating antihistamine, not a true antidepressant, but its long half-life - 20-40 hours - can cause the sedation to linger well into the next day which isn't ideal. Immediate-release trazodone with a half-life of 9-12 hours is a better option if it is available in the Netherlands, imo.

I would have taken half the 7.5mg, i.e. 3.75mg, for a week and then quit.

So why did that turn into 7 weeks?

It is usually very effective for insomnia, it is really just a very sedating antihistamine, not a true antidepressant, but its long half-life - 20-40 hours - can cause the sedation to linger well into the next day which isn't ideal. Immediate-release trazodone with a half-life of 9-12 hours is a better option if it is available in the Netherlands, imo.
    It lasted for 7 weeks because my mood was also somewhat depressed. With better sleep, my mood also improved so I continued taking it. Never heard about trazodone but I’ll keep it in mind thanks.

To be on the safe side, I went from 7.5mg to 5mg 2 weeks ago and from 5mg to 3.75 last week. This is going fine. The only thing I notice is that I sometimes have short muscle twitches. For about 2-3 weeks now so perhaps this is a side effect?

I want to go from 3.75 to 1.9 tonight and then to 1.0 next week. Another option is to just stop the tapering tonight. But I'm still in doubt…..

The only thing I notice is that I sometimes have short muscle twitches. For about 2-3 weeks now so perhaps this is a side effect?
    It probably is. Mirtazapine is a powerful antihistamine and one of histamine's roles in the body is triggering muscle constriction and blood vessel dilation both of which were affected by mirtazapine and needsto adapt to its diminishing presence. Mirtazapine's effect on acetylcholine mediated muscle function will also be affected.

I want to go from 3.75 to 1.9 tonight and then to 1.0 next week. Another option is to just stop the tapering tonight. But I'm still in doubt…..
    I think you could stop from 3.75mg with little if any withdrawal effects, however, psychology is at least as important as biology when quitting so go slower if it will ease your doubts. There isn't anyone awarding gold stars for fast tapers.

It probably is. Mirtazapine is a powerful antihistamine and one of histamine's roles in the body is triggering muscle constriction and blood vessel dilation both of which were affected by mirtazapine and needsto adapt to its diminishing presence. Mirtazapine's effect on acetylcholine mediated muscle function will also be affected.

I think you could stop from 3.75mg with little if any withdrawal effects, however, psychology is at least as important as biology when quitting so go slower if it will ease your doubts. There isn't anyone awarding gold stars for fast tapers.
    I also think the occasional twitching is a side effect since it started when I lowered the dose. But I think stress also plays a role in this. I found starting to taper off very exciting.
    I also suffer from muscle twitching just before I fall asleep and these are more stress related.

How long do side effects last on average?

For my state of mind, I will go from 3.75 to 1.8 tonight.

Hi, I have been taking15mg of mirtazapine for many years, along with other meds for ailments. i have no trouble taking them.
    I have a review next week with a new GP so won't know if i can stay on the same gram.
    What a lot of vitamins you take erik1979. All the best

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information