Thread: Amtitriptyline

Amtitriptyline

Hello there anyone been on amtitriptyline and had a few side effects was just wanted to know if the side effects wear off after been taking them for a while , thanks.

Re: Amtitriptyline

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Please also read this post:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=213239

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Quote Originally Posted by jackieann3 View Post
    Hello there anyone been on amtitriptyline and had a few side effects was just wanted to know if the side effects wear off after been taking them for a while , thanks.
    Side-effects are common when first taking an AD. Most diminish after a few weeks, but some can linger. The ones which may persist with TCAs are dry mouth and constipation, however, amitriptyline is less likely to produce them than the other TCAs.

ive been on them many years and as panicdownunder my only real side effect is still a dry mouth but it isnt bothersome

Thank you for your replys, would anyone know if they take time to work for pain as well ,I've had extreme lower back muscle pain where I can't relax really has effected all my back muscles, but I have only been on them 2 days just hope they work on the pain.

Quote Originally Posted by jackieann3 View Post
    would anyone know if they take time to work for pain as well.
    It typically takes 2-6 weeks for amitriptyline to begin having an effect on neuropathic pain. For anxiety and depression it typically takes 4-12 weeks to kick-in from when a therapeutic dose - usually 75mg for healthy adults - is first taken.

OK thank you they have started me on 10mg at the moment so will see how it goes.

You probably won't experience significant side-effects on 10mg. The usual starting dose for anxiety and depression is 75mg and most have only mild symptoms even at that dose. The TCAs typically produce fewer initial side-effects (and withdrawal symptoms) than the SSRIs and SNRI, though they often have more ongoing ones such as the dry-mouth and constipation mentioned earlier.

I have been put on these 10mg for chronic back pain although I do suffer with anxiety and have become depressed through being in pain for so long ,so will see how I go on these then perhaps go up on them , thanks for reply.

Thread Information