Thread: Buspar with Lexapro?

Buspar with Lexapro?

Taking 15mg of Lexapro but it's not working as well anymore.

Have some Buspar laying around (never tried it). Anyone take a little Buspar with their Lexapro? What dose?
    Any side effects or horrible things to look out for?

Any benefit?

Thanks.

Re: Buspar with Lexapro?

Buspirone (Buspar) is a GAD specific medication which works well for some, but not at all for most, and then only for GAD and maybe social anxiety. However, it has a pretty good track record for boosting the effectiveness of serotonergic ADs (SSRIs, SNRIs, some TCAs) and restoring function to those that have pooped-out. It may also reduce the severity of some AD side-effects, particularly teeth grinding (bruxism) and sexual dysfunction.

But you should get your doctor's okay before taking it, especially if you're taking any other medications, or supplements.

Quote Originally Posted by panic_down_under View Post
    Buspirone (Buspar) is a GAD specific medication which works well for some, but not at all for most, and then only for GAD and maybe social anxiety. However, it has a pretty good track record for boosting the effectiveness of serotonergic ADs (SSRIs, SNRIs, some TCAs) and restoring function to those that have pooped-out. It may also reduce the severity of some AD side-effects, particularly teeth grinding (bruxism) and sexual dysfunction.

But you should get your doctor's okay before taking it, especially if you're taking any other medications, or supplements.
    Thanks for that info!

What would be a good starting dose? Frequency?

Quote Originally Posted by panicface View Post
    What would be a good starting dose? Frequency?
    Buspirone has a very short half-life, 2-3 hours in healthy adults, so needs to be taken 2-3 times a day to maintain steady-state plasma levels. The recommended minimum dose is 15mg/day so either 2 x 7.5mg, or 3 x 5mg. But again, I urge you to consult a doctor before taking it.

Quote Originally Posted by panic_down_under View Post
    Buspirone has a very short half-life, 2-3 hours in healthy adults, so needs to be taken 2-3 times a day to maintain steady-state plasma levels. The recommended minimum dose is 15mg/day so either 2 x 7.5mg, or 3 x 5mg. But again, I urge you to consult a doctor before taking it.
    Thanks.. Him - that's not going to work for me.
    I sleep a lot, and random - impossible to take a pill 3x a day. Even twice a day is iffy.

Are there any other drugs that can augment/boost effectiveness of Lexapro?

Sounds like I'm just going to have to up my dose from 15mg to 20mg.. I just wish there were another option..

Quote Originally Posted by panicface View Post
    Thanks.. Him - that's not going to work for me.
    I sleep a lot, and random
    Why is that?

impossible to take a pill 3x a day. Even twice a day is iffy.
    There are a couple of extended-release formulations of buspirone, but they aren't available in many countries.

Are there any other drugs that can augment/boost effectiveness of Lexapro?
    Not that I'm aware of. A couple of the newer ADs, vilazodone (Viibryd) and vortioxetine (Brintellix, Trintellix), combine the actions of a SSRI and buspirone. They've only been moderately successful.

Sounds like I'm just going to have to up my dose from 15mg to 20mg.. I just wish there were another option..
    Why the reluctance to go to 20mg? Because of a potential impact on your heart? I doubt it will have any significant effect. However, I also suspect 20mg won't be much more effective than 15mg.

Thread Information