Thread: Does depression go away eventually... or is this me now?

Does depression go away eventually... or is this me now?

Hi all

Since last Friday, I have had this non-stop feeling of depression...
    I've had depression for a few hours before, but never eight days in a row.
    My doc said to keep taking Prozac 40mg a day (as I stopped taking it a few weeks ago and restarted it again - was taking it for anxiety)
    and he has also given me Diazepam - but I don't want to take this as I know it's addictive! :-(

My fear is is that this depression is here to stay! It's been making me have suicidal ideations and the feeling I cannot cope. I just want to wake up and it's gone, but I keep reading stuff about how it can last months or longer!!!

Can anyone who has feel depressive episodes like this before reassure me that it WILL eventually disappear and I will feel myself again?!
    At the moment I have no hope, and all I can think about is that this is now my permanent state of mind.

I have abused alcohol off and on, and I'm terrified I've messed my brain up for good.
    Please help.

Re: Does depression go away eventually... or is this me now?

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Please also read this post:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=213239

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Re: Does depression go away eventually... or is this me now?

The answer is, it depends. I've had bouts of depression after my illnesses, sought treatment and overcame it. Recently, the loss of a close relative, my age, health issues, the state of the US and world today etc., had me feeling pretty down. I've been there before and I knew what I had to do. So when our doggie wants to go play in the yard, I force myself to get out and play with her. I made it a point to arrange a date night with my wife and go out to dinner (and it was wonderful and we have leftovers for tonight... YUM!). And you know what? I can feel that veil of depression lifting. It's work, but it is very possible.

The advice is what the advice has been on most of the threads here. Its a matter of inner fortitude to take that advice and help yourself, get professional help and meds if needed and/or working on the things you've learned previously that helped you.

FMP
    Last edited by Fishmanpa; 25-09-22 at 21:53.
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Thread Information