Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What's happened to the extensive media coverage of Covid lately?

What's happened to the extensive media coverage of Covid lately?

With the COL crisis and Ukraine now dominating the news headlines, it was still only as recently as early 2022 when the media were still putting the fear of God into us over all things Covid, including the extensive wall-to-wall coverage of it on the BBC and Sky News channels. But as 2022 wore on (for better or worse), such extensive wall-to-wall media coverage of all things Covid appears to have petered out and barely seems to get a look in lately, despite the fact that Covid as a whole still hasn't gone away.

Some people have even opined that the COL crisis is actually a greater threat to life than Covid has been at any time during the best part of the past 3 years, of which I'm not entirely sure about, as it's basically like comparing apples with oranges. Plus there won't be national lockdowns nor extensive govt-imposed restrictions on our day-to-day lives and liberties in response to the COL crisis either (just imagine the (hypothetical) slogan 'Stay Home, Save Money, Save Lives'?).

Does anyone think that the media were a bit premature in giving extensive coverage of all things Covid the heave-ho over the course of this year, or is Covid no longer considered a serious enough issue overall in order to warrant it?

Re: What's happened to the extensive media coverage of Covid lately?

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    With the COL crisis and Ukraine now dominating the news headlines, it was still only as recently as early 2022 when the media were still putting the fear of God into us over all things Covid, including the extensive wall-to-wall coverage of it on the BBC and Sky News channels. But as 2022 wore on (for better or worse), such extensive wall-to-wall media coverage of all things Covid appears to have petered out and barely seems to get a look in lately, despite the fact that Covid as a whole still hasn't gone away.

Some people have even opined that the COL crisis is actually a greater threat to life than Covid has been at any time during the best part of the past 3 years, of which I'm not entirely sure about, as it's basically like comparing apples with oranges. Plus there won't be national lockdowns nor extensive govt-imposed restrictions on our day-to-day lives and liberties in response to the COL crisis either (just imagine the (hypothetical) slogan 'Stay Home, Save Money, Save Lives'?).

Does anyone think that the media were a bit premature in giving extensive coverage of all things Covid the heave-ho over the course of this year, or is Covid no longer considered a serious enough issue overall in order to warrant it?
    On a similar note, the media are no longer making a big deal of Monkeypox, which back around May was the subject of mass media frenzy, even being touted by some as the 'new Covid', also with the BBC and others even publishing stats on confirmed cases, and info on the worst affected areas/regions of this country, as if it was Covid all over again.

But as the summer wore on, the media frenzy concerning all things Monkeypox seemed to die down and peter out to the point where coverage has only since been sparse at the very most, especially as it was realised that Monkeypox isn't in quite the same league as Covid, and only just a tiny handful of people worldwide have reportedly died of it so far.

But of course the media in general will always be looking for something to put the fear of God into us over, even if such things don't quite end up being the major catastrophes they were originally cracked up to be.

While not a media-related thing per se, I would also like to admit that the mandatory mask-wearing of visitors to my mom's care home has now been given the heave-ho, though all of the residents (including my mom) all received the latest jab last week, which will obviously help.

There was always going to come a time when we would have to learn to live with COVID (same as flu)

COVID is still in the news and this time of year (as with flu and stomach viruses) the numbers will go up.

I keep telling you, Lenco - you need to stay away from the news (it triggers you too much)

Quote Originally Posted by NoraB View Post
    There was always going to come a time when we would have to learn to live with COVID (same as flu)

COVID is still in the news and this time of year (as with flu and stomach viruses) the numbers will go up.

I keep telling you, Lenco - you need to stay away from the news (it triggers you too much)
    Yes I agree with what you're saying, but it's just funny how Covid has gone from still being the foremost topic on the news agenda as recently as the early months of 2022 and the thing that we all seriously need to beware of (after already being so for 2 years since the early months of 2020) to now being well down the pecking order of the news headlines and seemingly now relatively insignificant to most people.

But you're right that pretty much all other bugs and viruses (as well as Covid now) do tend to increase in prevalence from this time of year onwards through to about March or so, and we've essentially learned to live with all of them without any major mither since time immemorial, especially before the media started hyping them up (Norovirus in particular) and creating trendy names/buzzwords for them over the past 20-odd years or so, as they also have with storms, hurricanes, etc.

I always assumed these posts you made were rhetorical, light hearted chats.

If you are indeed asking genuine questions based on genuine concerns about everything you post about, then Nora is right. You need to stay off the internet a bit more, specifically 'news' sources.

Go outside and feed some squirrels or something. There is NO value in looking at/ reading the news any more. It's designed to alarm.

I agree with Nora and Joe and I'm sorry that the media still has the power to put the fear of God into you. For this reason you need to challenge your compulsion to follow news slavishly. Do you feel that you can't or don't want to?

Quote Originally Posted by ankietyjoe View Post
    I always assumed these posts you made were rhetorical, light hearted chats.

If you are indeed asking genuine questions based on genuine concerns about everything you post about, then Nora is right. You need to stay off the internet a bit more, specifically 'news' sources.

Go outside and feed some squirrels or something. There is NO value in looking at/ reading the news any more. It's designed to alarm.
    He definitely does get triggered by the media. It's more where there is abuse involved that reminds him of his poor experiences with education and social care. Unrest also upsets him.

Learning to sit with the exposure is very important to desensitise to it but with his autism it's obviously much more complicated than anxiety alone.

I think too much news overwhelms him because it sucks him in. Just like how someone passionate about a cause is when they have negative experiences.

I think he does know the answer to these questions he asks because he is an intelligent guy. It might be an outlet for what he feels to post it to us?

Feed squirrels? Exterminate the little buggers, more like!

Rats with good PR, that's all!

A vet once told me that they have the sharpest teeth of all the rodents..Don't mess with a squirrel!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information