Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What's happened to the extensive media coverage of Covid lately?

Re: What's happened to the extensive media coverage of Covid lately?

Quote Originally Posted by Whizz View Post
    I think it'd be in full force still but the tabloids have the war and COL to make people feel terrified!
    Correct.

It's as if the media love to 'control' us at times and inadvertently make money from it!

But as far as Covid is concerned, its media attention in general (for better or worst) appears to have become far more sparse, in particular since around the spring of this year, notwithstanding all the stuff about Ukraine and all the general political turmoil in this country alone.

Also, on the upside, fewer people seem to be dying directly of Covid now than at any time during the entre pandemic, obviously due to the current (Omicron) variants being the least lethal so far, coupled with the vaccines and greater antibodies/herd immunity.

I've very much noticed this too.

I find it's so significant that I try not to bring up covid anymore because it's like people (and the media) kind of want to pretend it doesn't exist now.

You're right though it still does exist, in reality. For this reason I still try to keep to myself and not interact with too many people as I really don't want to keep catching it or anything like that (I'm not sure if I've ever had it yet).

Quote Originally Posted by hoppipolla View Post
    I've very much noticed this too.

I find it's so significant that I try not to bring up covid anymore because it's like people (and the media) kind of want to pretend it doesn't exist now.

You're right though it still does exist, in reality. For this reason I still try to keep to myself and not interact with too many people as I really don't want to keep catching it or anything like that (I'm not sure if I've ever had it yet).
    I'm not quite sure as to whether or not the media and people in general want to 'pretend' Covid no longer exists. But it's obviously no longer considered a serious enough threat to warrant full-on media attention and restrictions though.

But as already covered in this thread, there's plenty of other 'panic' situations the media seem to be focused on of late (for better or worse).

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    I'm not quite sure as to whether or not the media and people in general want to 'pretend' Covid no longer exists. But it's obviously no longer considered a serious enough threat to warrant full-on media attention and restrictions though.

But as already covered in this thread, there's plenty of other 'panic' situations the media seem to be focused on of late (for better or worse).
    I mainly think they want to pretend it because multiple times now I've seen people get quite distressed just because somebody brings it up.

Often the same people who before were talking about it 24/7, lol

Other stuff in the news... yeah I guess. There's always something or another I think.

Quote Originally Posted by hoppipolla View Post
    I mainly think they want to pretend it because multiple times now I've seen people get quite distressed just because somebody brings it up.

Often the same people who before were talking about it 24/7, lol

Other stuff in the news... yeah I guess. There's always something or another I think.
    Touch wood, there doesn't appear to be anything new to report on Covid ATM, so that's a plausible reason why it's less newsworthy of late, especially as up until now, over the past year we seem to have stayed with Omicrons, pretty much all of which have so far proved to be the least lethal.

In stark contrast to this time last year when the media were still putting the fear of God into us over Covid, especially as the first Omicron (BA.1) was just starting to rear its ugly head, coupled with the (more lethal) Delta still prevailing as the predominant variant at the time. And the year before (in November 2020) we were just heading into our second national lockdown (then fuelled by Alpha), which already seems like ages ago now.

But right now, for the most part (and for better or worse), barely a dickie bird about Covid in the news.

Well, here's one for you.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...urgery-on-baby

New Zealand’s health service has made a court application over the guardianship of a four-month-old baby whose parents are refusing to allow his life-saving heart surgery to go ahead unless non-vaccinated blood is used.

The parents of the baby discussed their son’s health situation and their medical preferences in an interview with an anti-vaccination campaigner.

In the interview the parents say their baby has severe pulmonary valve stenonis, and that he needs surgery “almost immediately”, but that they are “extremely concerned with the blood [the doctors] are going to use”.

“We don’t want blood that is tainted by vaccination,” the father said. “That’s the end of the deal – we are fine with anything else these doctors want to do.”

Quote Originally Posted by Pamplemousse View Post
    Plonkers!

Quote Originally Posted by Pamplemousse View Post
    Let's hope the court gets it sorted quickly so they can save the poor child.

Covid = the new religion.

While my dad was watching Sky News yesterday evening, I noticed in the scrolling ticker text at the bottom of the screen something about the UKHSA are to discontinue Covid modelling stats in January, as in their view they're no longer warranted, and their final publication of said stats shall be on 6/1/23 (Friday).

The UKHSA site did add that the weekly Covid stats from the ONS shall still continue to be published as usual beyond 6th Jan.

The BBC News channel also mentioned yesterday (again in their scrolling ticker text) that China will no longer be quarantining 'foreigners' upon arrival.

I was also saying to my dad last night that it wouldn't surprise me if Swine Flu actually continued beyond 2010 (albeit as diminished/lesser variants) but as far as the media and the authorities were concerned at the time SF was pretty much considered 'water under the bridge' post-2010 and had obviously moved on to whatever big 'panics' followed (whether health-related or not).

He kind of agreed with me.

Also luckily, the MERS and Ebola outbreaks circa 2013-15 (roughly halfway between the Swine Flu and Covid pandemics) seemed to mostly pass this country by.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information