Thread: HA back with a vengeance, racing heart, blood pressure etc.

HA back with a vengeance, racing heart, blood pressure etc.

I'm struggling at the minute, hoping it will pass but it isn't doing (yet).

My current symptoms are:

- Racing heart
    - High Blood Pressure
    - Whooshing noise in ear when standing up or moving in bed

This has been building up for a few weeks and feels like it's at it's peak at the minute. I keep waking up at 5/6am with a pounding heart/whooshing noise and racing heart, lasts about 30 seconds then calms down, if i move in bed to another position it happens again, if i go to the toilet it happens, some mornings (like this one) i can be sat at my computer working and it will be a constant state of stress and anxiety and heart pounding.

I took a home BP reading a few days ago and it read 157/97 which sent me into even more panic, GP said i would need to take my BP at home for a week, but i have a real fear of taking it which is why it spikes up, and even just thinking about it now causes anxiety.

Based on previous experience, I know that time and meditation really helped, im trying to meditate every day now but my heart just races throughout and i can't focus on it. I cut out alcohol and started walking in the morning when i wake up as well as eating healthier, but yeah it's getting worse rather than better.

I feel like I need to go through more pain of taking my BP before the GP will give me anything such as propranolol (which on small doses really helped in the past). Do i just need to get it done and stress through it for a week or should I work on other things instead of relying on their medication?

Re: HA back with a vengeance, racing heart, blood pressure etc.

When you get a high BP reading, do you take it again several more times without removing the cuff? I've always found that no matter how anxious you are, it will start going down eventually when you keep doing it over and over. Eventually it will be at your actual baseline. You have an anxious reaction when you first take the BP, but with repeated/continued exposure to the same thing, anxiety about that thing will always go down.

Quote Originally Posted by OGNinjaDon View Post

I took a home BP reading a few days ago and it read 157/97 which sent me into even more panic, GP said i would need to take my BP at home for a week, but i have a real fear of taking it which is why it spikes up, and even just thinking about it now causes anxiety.
    Me too, which is why I take several steps to ensure an accurate reading..

I don't eat or drink before measuring my BP.
    I sit quietly for at least 5 mins (Classic FM on)
    I do deep breathing exercises.
    I take three readings. (First one is always higher).

Based on previous experience, I know that time and meditation really helped, im trying to meditate every day now but my heart just races throughout and i can't focus on it. I cut out alcohol and started walking in the morning when i wake up as well as eating healthier, but yeah it's getting worse rather than better.
    Exercise and dietary changes all help but what matters most of all is your thinking, and if your thoughts are fearful and fixating, then the anxiety will continue. Your body will continue to release stress hormones (fight of flight) and you will continue to focus on those symptoms..

I feel like I need to go through more pain of taking my BP before the GP will give me anything such as propranolol (which on small doses really helped in the past). Do i just need to get it done and stress through it for a week or should I work on other things instead of relying on their medication?
    You don't want to be taking ANY medication unless it's absolutely necessary. (Try and work on your relaxation first)

Hey. Your original post is pretty much me at the moment. Do you mind me asking how you’re doing now? Hopefully better?

I have white collar syndrome so readings for me are always difficult. I used to sit in the waiting room and use their free tester. I'd have to do it a couple of times the first time was always high.

One time while I was at University I needed to see my doc about upping my meds. I was hung over, and very anxious. Doctor checked my pulse and suggested calling an ambulance. It was 160bpm. I was like nope this is just anxiety I know what this is, and got up and left.

It was just anxiety, when I got home it all returned to normal.

Doctors should be far more considerate with anxiety patients imho. Telling somebody they should be in hospital who has HA is the wrong thing to say. Then again, she was being considerate and looking after my health.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Quote Originally Posted by WiredIncorrectly View Post
    I have white collar syndrome so readings for me are always difficult. I used to sit in the waiting room and use their free tester. I'd have to do it a couple of times the first time was always high.
    Me too. I only have to walk into the surgery waiting room and my heart starts banging away like a barn door in a gale. It's pointless them taking my BP, and I doubt they'll sit there while I faff around doing my deep breathing. As for, 'Any chance of listening to Classic FM for five mins, Doc? Not likely! I have a panic attack every single time, and that's despite the work I've done on myself! I've come to accept that it's part of the doctors/hospital experience now..

Off to the doctors for a check up and a panic attack, dear!

Thread Information