Thread: Anxiety and worrying over job move

Anxiety and worrying over job move

So, since March 2021 I've been on a rolling contract as a graphic designer (keeps getting renewed every 3 months or 6 months) with an university. The university office is and hour and a half away from home, but I only have to attend 1 day a week.

Because of the whole uncertainty of the the rolling contract (my current contract is due to end in January), I've been applying for jobs elswehere. I've been fortunate to land a public sector job in my hometown as a Senior Designer. This means around a £5k uplift in pay, and probably better employee benefits. The office is 1 mile from my house, but I will have to work 3 days in the office and 2 days home (If I chose to).

Years ago I would have jumped at this opportunity, but I have mixed feelings of fear and scared to take a risk. The things that worry me are that this is a more senior role with more pressure/responsibility - can I cope?. And also having to work in an office 3 days a week - can I cope with that? What if I get bad IBS attacks? I'm so used to being home now.

I'm very comfortable doing what I'm doing now, I really like my current job, and don't want to upset myself. I struggle with change these days, and moving jobs is a big life change.

However, opportunities like this don't come along often this part of the country. I've already been declined 4 senior roles in the past, so this almost feels like the last chance saloon to climb that employment ladder. I don't want to look back in years to come, still on the same wage, doing the same stuff and regret that I didn't take a risk to improve myself and move up in the world.

Oh dear, any advice????!

Re: Anxiety and worrying over job move

Take a breath and be brave. You've got this! Well done!

You can do this! Well done!

Well done on getting offered this great opportunity, Mr L!

Who knows..It could work wonders for your HA as well as your mind will be challenged on new projects and has being at home really helped you all that much in terms of monitoring your bowel movements/assorted symptoms? The new office is only a mile from home..It's ideal!

I know you say you feel comfortable in your current job but it's not a stable job and you have been applying elsewhere so....I'd say go for it!

Quote Originally Posted by MrLurcher View Post
    I've been fortunate to land a public sector job in my hometown as a Senior Designer. This means around a £5k uplift in pay, and probably better employee benefits. The office is 1 mile from my house, but I will have to work 3 days in the office and 2 days home (If I chose to).
    Nice work, Mr Lurcher!

Thread Information