Thread: Whos had elevated calprotectin? Bowel C Worries!

Whos had elevated calprotectin? Bowel C Worries!

Hey ya

Going through a period of worry (stress and anxiety are my daily companion now :( )

The list!

• Constant ache, Pain tends to move around, sometimes relieved, or at least reduced in a BM
    • Constant fullness/bloating
    • Lots of passing gas, like all the time
    • BM can vary, it can be a couple of times a day and pretty normal stools, to only a few times a week, sometimes alternating normal, contstipated types (small, hard) and at times diarrhea
    • In times of high stress and anxiety i can have many frequent bowel movement all of a sudden (especially in high anxiety moments)
    • Recent blood test, all seemed pretty normal
    • Three stool samples for faecal blood, all negative
    • But! Elevated Calprotectin 109 (Normal is meant to be <50)
    • Varying pain at the end of the rectum, i think is more tears, fissures, haemorrhoids / piles.

I am trying so hard to tell myself that this is something sinister, The doc assures me that Calprotectin is not typically a good measure of cancer, whilst it can be elevated in cases of cancer they would be looking more for other classic symptoms like weight loss, differences in blood test, blood in stool etc etc

They advise the referral for colonscopy is more a reassurance measure and to look for any IBD type issues so to be able to definitively confirm IBD or IBS.

I didnt think calprotectin could be raised in IBS but apparently it can be if still in borderline levels (<200)

I am still hoping IBS as its been ongoing for some time now, though this year its been a little more noticeable.

Going in for a colonoscopy in about 8 weeks - the long, anxious wait begins!

Has anyone had similar symptoms and elevated calprotectin levels and it turn our to be nothing / IBS?

Thanks Y'all

Re: Whos had elevated calprotectin? Bowel C Worries!

Hi I have very similar symptoms to you and I suffer from severe health anxiety. Except mine is more Diarrhea dominant, especially after I eat certain trigger foods. But I alternate back and fourth daily. I went to my GP and they did tons of lab tests. My calprotection was 21 which is normal but my ALP and amylase is slightly elevated instead. All my other lab tests were normal.
    I also get very bad GI symptoms when I’m stressed out. Sometimes I go more than 10 times per day when I’m stressed! Try to calm down.
    If your stools came back with no blood, then it’s very unlikely to be BC and even chrons or UC. Have you gotten blood tests for inflammatory markers?

Keep an eye on your symptoms, very likely IBS because your symptoms match it and you don’t have “red flag” symptoms.

I have a GI appointment myself in a couple weeks so I will keep you posted to try and alleviate your concerns.

Keep us posted if possible!

Best wishes

Quote Originally Posted by Healthfreak4976 View Post
    Hi I have very similar symptoms to you and I suffer from severe health anxiety. Except mine is more Diarrhea dominant, especially after I eat certain trigger foods. But I alternate back and fourth daily. I went to my GP and they did tons of lab tests. My calprotection was 21 which is normal but my ALP and amylase is slightly elevated instead. All my other lab tests were normal.
    I also get very bad GI symptoms when I’m stressed out. Sometimes I go more than 10 times per day when I’m stressed! Try to calm down.
    If your stools came back with no blood, then it’s very unlikely to be BC and even chrons or UC. Have you gotten blood tests for inflammatory markers?

Keep an eye on your symptoms, very likely IBS because your symptoms match it and you don’t have “red flag” symptoms.

I have a GI appointment myself in a couple weeks so I will keep you posted to try and alleviate your concerns.

Keep us posted if possible!

Best wishes
    Hi, Thanks for your reply

Here's hoping its nothing major! Hoping still IBS

Yeah the bloods did test for CRP, Value is <1

Quote Originally Posted by mbee View Post
    Hi, Thanks for your reply

Here's hoping its nothing major! Hoping still IBS

Yeah the bloods did test for CRP, Value is <1
    Yeah it probably is IBS. As mentioned try to relax because stress makes it worse! Easier said then done trust me

Your fine

I don’t know about elevated calprotectin in IBS but defo IBD. I have IBD, crohns. Try not to worry, if you do have IBD it’s better to know about it and be treated properly if it is that. Good luck x

Thread Information