Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: All-over itching when I stop taking it

Re: All-over itching when I stop taking it

Yeah, when it gets bad I take hydroxyzine. I take mag glycinate every morning anyhow. it's weird, because every time I've stopped taking pregabalin, I've got itching. First time was after taking 300mg for about six months, then the next three times was after just taking 200-400 for around a week. It can't be coincidence? Or maybe I have bile duct cancer

Quote Originally Posted by olivia0703 View Post
    Yeah, when it gets bad I take hydroxyzine.
    Hydroxyzine has fairly potent anti anxiety properties at dose of 50-100mg x 3-4 times a day. Not quite as potent as the benzodiazepines, but often potent enough. Just one cautionary note, when taken with pregabalin their combined sedative effects can be greater than simply 1+1=2. High hydroxyzine doses may also be contraindicated when taking citalopram and escitalopram.

Also, hydroxyzine comes in two forms, hydroxyzine pamoate (Vistaril) and hydroxyzine hydrochloride (Atarax). Anecdotally, the pamoate form is claimed to be the more effective anxiolytic.

it's weird, because every time I've stopped taking pregabalin, I've got itching. First time was after taking 300mg for about six months, then the next three times was after just taking 200-400 for around a week. It can't be coincidence?
    Some people are more sensitive to a side-effect than others. It all comes down to how a med meshes with individual biology and we are all unique in that regard.

Or maybe I have bile duct cancer
    Unless you're showing signs of jaundice and/or are pooping weird coloured stools it's very unlikely.

Just kidding about bile duct cancer. I am down the bulbar ALS rabbit hole right now.
    Yes, it's vistaril form. I was prescribed it for anxiety, but it just made me sleepy and kind of depressed and I was worried about the anticholinergic effects. But I'll take all that over this anxiety rn

I was worried about the anticholinergic effects.
    Despite some of the claims found online hydroxyzine is only a very weak inhibitor of muscarinic acetylcholine receptors (mACh), with a binding affinity of about 4,600 Ki. This is *much less than escitalopram's affinity for mACh receptors at about 1,240 Ki which is itself only a weak mACh inhibitor. To put it into perspective, escitalopram has a binding affinity of between 0.8-1.1 Ki for the serotonin transporter molecules which is the med's primary biological effect.

* The binding potential of a drug to receptors is determined by the plasma concentration of the drug required to block 50% of the receptors in nanomoles per litre (nmol/L). The lower the Ki value the stronger the binding affinity and the stronger the biological effect.
    Last edited by panic_down_under; 12-11-22 at 00:21. Reason: typo

Ugh, I was wondering why my hydroxyzine refill was tablets rather than green capsules. It's the wrong type for anxiety. That's what happens when a counsellor calls in a refill instead of a doctor

It's the wrong type for anxiety.
    So you got the hydroxyzine hydrochloride formulation instead of the pamoate? If so, hydroxyzine hydrochloride will still work, but some claim it isn't quite as effective for anxiety. However, there are also some who have found it more effective. It all comes down to individual reactions. The placebo effect may also play a part.

It does nothing for my anxiety, even if I take 100mg at once. Maybe a little sleepy. That's about it

It does nothing for my anxiety, even if I take 100mg at once. Maybe a little sleepy. That's about it
    That's disappointing. If it has been prescribed to be taken as needed a second dose 4-5 hours after the first may be effective.

It was prescribed up to 4 times a day

Did it work any better after the 2nd and subsequent daily doses, Olivia?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information