Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anxiety high again

Re: Anxiety high again

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    Remember the media have been putting the fear of God into us virtually non-stop over all things Covid since the first months of 2020 (though obviously far more justified during the first year or so of the pandemic) and a lot of us are still no doubt conditioned into fearing virtually every worst-case scenario which can of course lead to hypervigilance, which can then in turn lead to psychosomatic symptoms and of course self-fulfilling prophecies in general. I also fear similar scenarios with the current COL crisis in terms of self-fulfilling prophecies and vicious circles the way the media keep milking it to death just like they did with Covid and of course the last GFC at the end of the 2000s.

I know all of these issues are very real but I personally think that the media almost always seem to contribute to exacerbating a lot of issues in general with their evermore sensationalistic tones (for obvious reasons).

It does also seem like the media want to 'control' us at times.
    The media and conspiracy theories aren't part of my life or thought process.

Maybe we don't need to hear about it all the time? Same with political standpoints. It's not really relevant to the OP's post, unless they specifically make it so.

Quote Originally Posted by ankietyjoe View Post
    Another way to look at it -

If you had a choice, would you choose (literally) years of anxiety about catching Covid, or a week or two of sniffles on the sofa?

Once you've had it, it's done.
    I think the grieving families of 171,000 people would disagree with your asinine statement.

Quote Originally Posted by Pamplemousse View Post
    I think the grieving families of 171,000 people would disagree with your asinine statement.
    You're answering a point I didn't make.

The OP isn't worrying about catching the more lethal, historical version of Covid.

Like I said previously, the past doesn't exist. Only now.
    Last edited by ankietyjoe; 07-11-22 at 12:34.

The media and conspiracy theories aren't part of my life or thought process.

Maybe we don't need to hear about it all the time? Same with political standpoints. It's not really relevant to the OP's post, unless they specifically make it so.
    Reasonable balance and moderation is key. And ultimately from the most reliable and trusted sources, and not dubious ones.

You're answering a point I didn't make.

The OP isn't worrying about catching the more lethal, historical versions of Covid.

Like I said previously, the past doesn't exist. Only now.
    Absolutely, otherwise there would no doubt still be restrictions right now, and it would still be dominating the news headlines.

And I presume you mean 'the past' is now 'water under the bridge', though of course still no disrespect intended to the grieving families that PM brought up.

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    Absolutely, otherwise there would no doubt still be restrictions right now, and it would still be dominating the news headlines.

And I presume you mean 'the past' is now 'water under the bridge', though of course still no disrespect intended to the grieving families that PM brought up.
    The point I'm trying to make is that I wouldn't have said 'sniffles on the sofa' in 2020 when thousands of people were in critical care struggling to breathe. Observing current truth does not disregard the grief of the past. The two things are completely unconnected.

The current situation Covid is vastly different than the first wave, and the OP needs to be able to see that without people coming in and reminding her (I think?) of historical tragedy.

We all have to deal with now, that is the fundamental truth of anxiety recovery.

Even with current falls, it's still killing 800 people a week here in the UK and many more in Europe - currently approaching 300 a day in Germany and increasing.

I don't recall "the snuffles" doing that.

Thank you anxietyjoe, didn’t mean for you to get in to trouble... I appreciate your time replying to me and sharing your current outlook on the situation. I understand that you are talking about the now and not the past and hopefully most people will also realise this.

I used this platform to air some of my thoughts and worries as I was experiencing panic after a pretty long build up.

Being an anxiety sufferer the last few weeks have been particularly hard, probably triggered by what we have all been through the last few years and I was having a wobble.

This wasn’t meant to cause debate or a offend anyone.

Bingo.

You/we/us have zero control over most things that happen to us. It's the same for everybody, and always has been.

Live for today, what's actually happening now. The past, the future, don't exist.

I would also add that it's not a bad idea to take a look at things we can control. If your diet is bad, change it. If you drink too much, stop. If you smoke, you know.......

Get outside, exercise, meditate, reframe the constant negative thoughts that are your real issue.

Honestly, Covid wasn't that bad. I'm 51 and hyper stressed (I'm a carer for a very sick family member and we now have significant financial issues, like a lot of people) and I came out of it with little to no side effects. A month on I still feel stiff and tired, but I felt like that before anyway. I'm easily functioning. You are creating imaginary scenarios in your brain that simply don't exist.
    I’m sorry to hear about your sick family member, sending lots of love to you and your family!

I completely agree with everything you said about adopting healthier habits/ lifestyle. I know that I’m particularly bad for sugary things and with still not managing my stress/ anxiety as effectively as I could, I believe this plays a big part in running me down and my overall well-being.

Quote Originally Posted by Alice1990 View Post
    Thank you anxietyjoe, didn’t mean for you to get in to trouble... I appreciate your time replying to me and sharing your current outlook on the situation. I understand that you are talking about the now and not the past and hopefully most people will also realise this.

I used this platform to air some of my thoughts and worries as I was experiencing panic after a pretty long build up.

Being an anxiety sufferer the last few weeks have been particularly hard, probably triggered by what we have all been through the last few years and I was having a wobble.

This wasn’t meant to cause debate or a offend anyone.
    I'm not in trouble and you didn't offend anyone.

Enjoy your job, and work on your anxiety and catastrophising

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information