Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: :(

:(

Just wanted to share... Our boy Socrates will be 12yo on Nov. 22nd. that puts him at 70yo in human years. I got him at 8 weeks old and he was just 8 months old when my wife and got together. He's been our boy since then but he's definitely more a Daddy's boy. I have to say, I've not known a bond like this to a fur baby in my life. He knew something was wrong before I was diagnosed with cancer and that boy was by my side the entire time, literally. I would travel to Johns Hopkins in Baltimore and we'd stay at a cancer house that was close to the hospital so we were gone 5 days a week for 6 weeks (we had a cat sitter to help). From the time we got home on the weekends and after treatment, that boy was like glue and he would bring me toys to play and make me get up and move around. Really, its like he knew what I needed. When my wife took ill and was in the hospital for over three months in 2016, he slept on a blanket she used the entire time and when she finally came home, he was cuddled up with her in bed within minutes. Again, I've had pets in my life but this guy? Pixie Bobs are truly a special breed and he's lived up to their reputation and then some. He's definitely slowed down in the last couple of years for sure which is to be expected.

The last couple of weeks I've noticed some changes. He's eating less, sleeping a lot more and keeping to himself a lot. He normally sleeps next to me or my wife but he's been sleeping on our sofa where I sit and in various other places by himself the last couple of weeks. I've also noticed he's breathing a little faster as well. Not labored mind you, just faster. There are times he's his usual self, wanting pets and begging for treats but you can definitely tell he's not feeling well most of the time.

The last check up in June showed increased kidney function readings so I'm concerned. They weren't bad but something to keep an eye on. The vet suggested we bring him in in December to be checked and it appears we're doing that a lot sooner. He said to just keep an eye on him and if we notice changes, contact them. I have an appointment set in the next week so we'll see. Keep our boy in positive thoughts.

IMG_0781.jpg

FMP
    Last edited by Fishmanpa; 07-11-22 at 23:28.
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Re: :(

I couldn't ignore the sad face FMP and as a pet owner I can imagine how you are feeling. You know I have cat too.
    All I can say is you've shown Socrates such love and given him a wonderful home and he's still with you for now. Try to keep positive!

Thank you Carnation. I'm not stressing so much as just sad. I knew after ten years, it could happen any time but still, emotionally, its challenging. Just the way he's been lately, it seems like he's telling me the end is near. The way he's been cuddling up to me and soaking in all the pets, scratches and rubs, and he's been showing his love with loud purrs, head butts and butt pats. He's funny... He'll jump up on the couch with me, get up next to me and give me a head butt, turn around and stick his butt in the air to get butt pats. And it's not a gentle pat either! He likes his butt pats and chin scratches hard. He'll push himself harder into your hand for the chin scratches. Like I said, I have a special bond with this creature unlike any bond I've had previously. I swear he knows exactly what I'm saying and I've come to know him and understand what he's telling me. He came into my life at a very challenging time and has been there for myself and my wife through thick and thin.

Hopefully, this is something that can be treated but my gut is telling me otherwise. The Pixie Bob group I belong to on FB shared similar issues with their Pixies and most have a lifespan of 12-14 years so yeah..... :( Its just hard
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Thinking all the good thoughts for you and your boy, FMP! If only our pets could outlive us...

I know it's hard FMP. Socrates is part of your family. It's more than that because he's been your go to comfort and much more. I know those furry head bumps from my cat and sometimes the hit is quite hard. You get to know their wants and needs. They trust us. But try not to let him see your sadness. They can sense that. Carry on as normal as much as you can. And keep those positive thoughts.

Positive thoughts for Socrates. What a wonderful boy. Sounds like you were very lucky to have found each other.

Sending love and positive vibes to you and Socrates. The way cats give themselves to us is such a privilege.

Sending much love to you and secretes. Our pets bring so much love into our lives, it's so hard when they aren't well/getting older.

Hi FMP, sorry to hear about Socrates (I've pronounced this 'so crates' ever since Bill and Ted)

I'm in a similar boat with my 13-year-old pooch..

The old girl suddenly went deaf a few months ago and now she's drinking LOADS of water. She had an accident in the house last week (while we were in), and she actually left some food yesterday - which is unheard of with her. There's other stuff too; she's not herself at all.

She actually didn't want to go for her walk last week (with the walker) and that's a first. Normally, she's pulling me over trying to get out the door! The walker tells me that she's become very quiet and subdued when she's out - something that we put down to the deafness - but there's this other stuff, so I'm not convinced it is all down to the deafness..

You mentioned your pooch breathing faster, and I actually took a video of mine yesterday to show the vet because it seems fast. This is odd for my girl because she's normally so chilled when lying down that I've thought she's been dead several times!

So, it's chase her around for a wee sample time, (always a joy), and then it's back down to the vets to see what's going on..

I've had the experience of four other geriatric dogs, and in my heart, I know that the insane (but healthy) girl I rescued all those years ago is on another track, but I will do my very best for her.

It's never easy, this part. It's enough to put us off ever having dogs ever again, right? (Then a pair of velvety eyes look into ours and we're done for all over again).

So, if I may, I'd like to ask for some positive thoughts for my girl too?

Sending you and Socrates so much love FMP.

Sending you positive thoughts for your pooch nora.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information