Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beta blockers

Beta blockers

Hi, I’m suffering from anxiety which is also giving me heart palpitations. I’ve been prescribed beta blockers to calm them down, but after consulting the internet and reading all sorts of stuff (which was very stupid of me), I’m now getting anxious about taking the beta blockers.

How ridiculous is that?

I’m hoping someone might be able to convince me that I should just get on with it and take them.

Thanks for any support you can give.

Adam

Re: Beta blockers

Well

Seeing as you're going to be anxious taking them or not, why not deal with the anxiety rather than the symptom?

If you medicate this symptom, what next?

Hi, and thank you for replying.

The medication for the anxiety is it going to take a number of weeks to take affect and I think the heart palpitations are a byproduct of the anxiety. Then again, whilst having heart palpitations, waiting for the next one also makes me feel anxious.

It’s a vicious circle.

The doctor gave me the beta blockers to deal with the heart palpitations, so surely I should just crack on and use them?

Even on this site, it says “Beta blockers are the medication to try first if these are causing you high levels of aggravation and stress. They may help enormously.”

I’ve spoken to a few people who have been on beta blockers and they say they do help. I just think I’ve done myself (almost) irreparable damage by letting the Internet get to me.

I've been on a beta blocker (and other meds) for my heart issues for the last 15 years. Beta blockers essentially put a ceiling on how hard your heart will work. So it makes sense that it would help quell the symptoms of anxiety and panic as it helps eliminate a physical side effect. That said, I look at it like other meds for anxiety and mental health. They are tools to help you manage but the key lies in actually treating the root cause and get to the point where you don't need or can take a lower dose of medication.

FMP
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Hello, and thank you, FMP for replying.

I think the issue I have with them (taking them for the first time) is that apparently they make you lightheaded. Supposedly, this is only for a short while and then you can go about your normal life.

After 15 years, I would imagine that your body is well versed with taking this medication. I simply don’t like being out of control, so I’m very suspicious and ask questions about every medication before I take it.

Of course, I realise that taking the beta blockers should help me enormously, but I’m just being cautious (maybe overcautious).

snaps042
    Last edited by snaps042; 25-11-22 at 07:57.

Quote Originally Posted by snaps042 View Post
    Then again, whilst having heart palpitations, waiting for the next one also makes me feel anxious.

It’s a vicious circle.
    Have you been told your heart palpitations are dangerous then?

Hello,

No, I haven’t. I went for an ECG last week, and of course as I lay there, my heart behaved itself (as of course it was going to do all along).

I’m just hoping to find some encouragement here in order to take my first beta blocker.

Quote Originally Posted by snaps042 View Post
    Hello,

No, I haven’t. I went for an ECG last week, and of course as I lay there, my heart behaved itself (as of course it was going to do all along).

I’m just hoping to find some encouragement here in order to take my first beta blocker.
    So you have proof they're not dangerous, and you've probably read a hundred times that palpitations are common with anxiety.

So why do you need to take the beta blockers?

I see the route that ankietyjoe is going down here....and I would also agree with it, but it may be not the sort of answer you were expecting. You are wanting someone to tell you to take the Betablockers, and give you reasons why to do so - but not everyone is going to agree with medication to limit a symptom of anxiety (a non-dangerous and common symptom). You are going to get a range of opinions here Adam, some who meds like a Beta blocker have worked for and some for whom it hasn't. I am wondering if you are on an AD/anti anxiety med at all ?

I have had ectopics and various oddities relating to heart rhythm (all benign) for 30 years, and I'm used to them and take nothing for them. Why mask a symptom (I hear what you say about a vicious circle) when the anxiety is the underlying cause and if you dealt with that then all symptoms would be better ? If you lost your fear of the palps, and literally learnt to aceept, ignore, distract and therefore not cause them as much (breaking the cycle) then BBs wouldn't be needed. Its like panic attacks, acceptance and losing a fear of them can shorten and stop them.

Disclaimer - obviously we aren't medics and haven't been party to the discussion with your GP. I am presuming from your post that your GP feels there is nothing wrong with your heart and the BetaBs are for anxiety reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Carys View Post
    I see the route that ankietyjoe is going down here....and I would also agree with it, but it may be not the sort of answer you were expecting. You are wanting someone to tell you to take the Betablockers, and give you reasons why to do so - but not everyone is going to agree with medication to limit a symptom of anxiety (a non-dangerous and common symptom). You are going to get a range of opinions here Adam, some who meds like a Beta blocker have worked for and some for whom it hasn't. I am wondering if you are on an AD/anti anxiety med at all ?

I have had ectopics and various oddities relating to heart rhythm (all benign) for 30 years, and I'm used to them and take nothing for them. Why mask a symptom (I hear what you say about a vicious circle) when the anxiety is the underlying cause and if you dealt with that then all symptoms would be better ? If you lost your fear of the palps, and literally learnt to aceept, ignore, distract and therefore not cause them as much (breaking the cycle) then BBs wouldn't be needed. Its like panic attacks, acceptance and losing a fear of them can shorten and stop them.

Disclaimer - obviously we aren't medics and haven't been party to the discussion with your GP. I am presuming from your post that your GP feels there is nothing wrong with your heart and the BetaBs are for anxiety reasons.
    This is exactly the route I'm going down.

If you medicate the palpitations it will be anything from a day to a year before another symptom comes along that you 'can't cope with', and then what? More medication?

It doesn't really matter whether beta blockers work or not, what matters is you deal with the anxiety in the right way, and beta blockers will do nothing for that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information