Thread: Rabies, possible bat bite, scared.

Post Rabies, possible bat bite, scared.

Hi guys, so I will try to keep this short. I live in the western side of the USA and i live in a city that is very populated and has a lot of people in it. So this past 2 months i have a very bad rabies fear because i had a bite that i did not know what bit me. But i got out of it until 3 days ago. So fast forward to 3 days ago. I parked my car in a public parking, it was a parking outside just in front of the store, and i accidentally parked it very close to the car beside me, which meant it was very hard to get in or get out. When i went into the store and came back out, i got in my car very hardly because i parked it very close to their car, and i felt a pinprick sensation or like a needle sensation. Now, I did not thing much of it because maybe i touched something or maybe i touched a sharp thing when getting in my car. I got home and hours later i noticed that the location that i felt something, the skin was a little bit peeled, and there is like a circle with discoloration but when i touch it, it does not hurt. And from there, I said thats it, a bat got me in that small space, or he came from under the car beside me and bit me i did not even notice him and i am convinced i have rabies.

Now the thing is that i have never seen a bat, in my city, there are no bats, like literally none, one biting me would almost be impossible, but at the same time, i am thinking what if he did. I don't know what to do, i dont want to go to my doctor again, tell her/him about this because it just feels like nonsense and they will very likely say go home and relax.

Am i overreacting, was it just a scratch or i touched something sharp when getting into my car, or should i be worried?

Re: Rabies, possible bat bite, scared.

I think you are massively overreacting to be honest. Bats don't just wait to bite people and rabies is so scarce now.

Read the sticky thread in this sub-forum

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Thank you for replying, so you mean that i don't need to worry about the pinprick sensation. Thanks again

So you were parked next to another car, right?
    Bats can't cling to cars. They have no ability to do so on a sheer metal surface with their tiny claws. Add that to the bat needing to find purchase on you, and bite you at the same time, all in the time where you're squeezing into your car. It's impossible. They can't creep out from under cars and fly up to bite you either. They can't take off from the ground, and they don't hang out on/in/or around cars.

It sounds like you just brushed against something, or a hair got caught in your clothing and gave you a quick pinprick sensation (it happens to people a lot).

Thank you very much for getting into detail, you really helped me easy my mind. Yes i was parked next to a car, very close to their car, almost hitting their door, so it was very difficult to get out, maybe there is when i scratched my foot on something, it was big, an SUV car, and that is why i thought the bat came from the under of the car because suv's are higher from the ground but you said its impossible so thats good. So the thing that i see on my foot is nothing, i should not even thing about it right anymore? Thanks again

Bats aren't ninjas, and rabid bats definitely aren't ninjas. You'd have noticed a bat with rabies flapping around you in that kind of situation.

I can't promise you weren't bitten by a ninja, but they very rarely carry rabies.

Thx for replying, are there ninjas in California?

Zero chance there was a bat. Less than zero chance you were bitten. Let this one go.

Aight thx a lot for replying, you are right, i am overthinking this, bats just don't appear out of thin air, and the think that i felt maybe was i touched something or scratched it on something, like my car door, i dont know i don't think a bat would have been in that tiny space without me realising it. Thx a lot again for replying.

Thread Information