Thread: MSA - New Here

MSA - New Here

Hi all, a friend referred me here and I'm so glad she did because its a relief to see similar stories to mine as far as health anxiety goes.

I've been deathly afraid of MSA (multiple system atrophy) for months now. I'm only 19, and despite one of the diagnostic criteria being aged older than 30, I am still completely convinced I have it.

I read about it when i was researching muscle twitches and it instantly became my new fear. Since that I've had on and off urinary symptoms that have been driving me insane. I've been so worried about being incontinent that it may have caused some actual symptoms for me. Yet I refuse to believe it's anxiety for some reason. Deep down I know I don't have this but its this nagging anxiety in the back of my mind saying "what if you actually do?"

Anyways, has anyone else ever had this fear or something similar? I've been disheartened by how few people seem to be worried about this disease and I have very few people to talk to about it. My family is sick of me talking about it because they think it's completely irrational. I know it is, but I also don't.

Re: MSA - New Here

Quote Originally Posted by deathsucks69 View Post
    I'm only 19, and despite one of the diagnostic criteria being aged older than 30, I am still completely convinced I have it.
    This bit right here is all you need to focus on! Literally doesn't happen below 30.

You should take comfort in the fact that the thoughts you describe around this are extremely similar to mine and many others though. You don't need people to talk to about this disease, you need to forget about it and become more like the people who you are disheartened by. They're the ones we should be emulating, not the other way around!!

Health anxiety is a real condition and you're still young so I'd advise getting help with it so it doesn't take over any more of your life.

Re: MSA - New Here

Thanks. I am seeing a therapist and on a low dosage of Zoloft which seems to be helping but it's still getting in the way of my life way more than it should. For some reason it's so hard to let go of even though I still know it's completely irrational.

Thread Information