Thread: Possible bat bite on lower leg ?

Possible bat bite on lower leg ?

Hi,

I was out jogging and felt a little nip on my foot , I didn’t see a bat but have seen them in the area before , it was only a split second nip and can’t feel since then, just wondering if it could have been a bat?

No marks or anything just concerned .

I live in the west coast of Scotland so don’t know how active they are just now

Re: Possible bat bite on lower leg ?

You didn't see a bat.
    There are no marks. (Or anything)

What exactly are you concerned about?

Quote Originally Posted by dmc1892 View Post
    Hi,

I was out jogging and felt a little nip on my foot , I didn’t see a bat but have seen them in the area before , it was only a split second nip and can’t feel since then, just wondering if it could have been a bat?

No marks or anything just concerned .

I live in the west coast of Scotland so don’t know how active they are just now
    You definitely would have felt something hitting your foot. Considering we can feel the tiniest tickle from a fly, or just a hair brushing off our skin, a bat would be impossible to miss if it actually made contact with you mid flight.
    Think about it logically. You were jogging, and I assume you were wearing some kind of footwear too? (If not, fair play in the beginning of winter. That's impressive!) How could a bat manage to collide with your foot, cling on, and find a spot of skin to deliver a bite, without it being SUPER obvious?

Bats don't fly down around peoples feet either, and they don't leap up from the ground to bite. In fact, being on the ground is incredibly dangerous for them. A grounded bat = a dead bat. Because they physically can't take off from the ground, they quickly get chomped by cats and foxes, so they'll avoid swooping low around humans who could injure them.

That "nip" you felt was far more likely to be a random sensation just from blood flow in your own body while jogging. Nerve endings like to ping now and again.

And bats are hibernating right now They're all tucked up in their roosts ready to sleep through Christmas.

Were you jogging barefoot?

Thread Information