Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Strep A vs Covid

Strep A vs Covid

Strep A appears to be the latest viral infection that the media now seem to be having a field day over. So far 15 children infected with it have sadly died in the UK (including NI), but so far (touch wood) I haven't heard of any cases of it among adults in the news as yet. My dad said that Strep A has actually been around on and off for eons, but a member of another forum that I sometimes browse believes we (in his/her opinion) should have a national lockdown pronto in order to nip it in the bud while we still can, whilst others have responded to him/her with comments like 'It's not quite in the same league as Covid' and that it's been suggested that the Covid lockdowns in 2020 and early 21 (ironically) were partly thought to be responsible for an immunity deficit for other viruses/bugs, including ordinary 'flu' and of course Strep A ATM. That same FM was also advocating another national lockdown over Monkeypox a few months back, and was told by other FMs pretty much the same things as now.

I'm surprised there hasn't yet been anyone else on this forum posting about Strep A.

Re: Strep A vs Covid

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    Strep A appears to be the latest viral infection that the media now seem to be having a field day over. So far 15 children infected with it have sadly died in the UK (including NI), but so far (touch wood) I haven't heard of any cases of it among adults in the news as yet. My dad said that Strep A has actually been around on and off for eons, but a member of another forum that I sometimes browse believes we (in his/her opinion) should have a national lockdown pronto in order to nip it in the bud while we still can, whilst others have responded to him/her with comments like 'It's not quite in the same league as Covid' and that it's been suggested that the Covid lockdowns in 2020 and early 21 (ironically) were partly thought to be responsible for an immunity deficit for other viruses/bugs, including ordinary 'flu' and of course Strep A ATM. That same FM was also advocating another national lockdown over Monkeypox a few months back, and was told by other FMs pretty much the same things as now.

I'm surprised there hasn't yet been anyone else on this forum posting about Strep A.
    I also hope that this current Strep A outbreak doesn't eventually explode into something more profound like Covid did; in the sense that Covid in its early stage of the pandemic (like Strep A up until now) was only covered relatively sparingly in the UK national news headlines from around mid-January up until around the last week or two of February 2020, and from around then onwards cases of it and headlines pertaining to it suddenly seemed to explode en masse both in the UK and worldwide and subsequently went on to dominate the national (and international) news headlines 24/7 like nothing before in my lifetime.

Obviously, as evidenced in your threads, the social implications and history concern you but in the big picture, what is the real concern and why worry?

FMP
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

There won't be any more lockdowns, Lenco. I know that this can't be 100% certain but I don't think you are doing yourself any favours by making this into some kind of virus compare and contrast topic?

Strep is a bacteria, not a virus. It can be treated with antibiotics, unlike Covid.

Quote Originally Posted by HopeI'mWrong:P View Post
    Strep is a bacteria, not a virus. It can be treated with antibiotics, unlike Covid.
    That's good to hear (the treatment, not the condition). The world does not need any further panic over medical concerns that may, or may not be entirely rational.

"I am a part of all that I have met;
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield."

- Tennyson

For Those Who Shop Online, you can support No More Panic very easily. Read more here and here. If No More Panic has helped you, consider making a donation.

It's my understanding that this is just a normal wave of strep infections that happened to start earlier than usual and spread a bit more widely, but that it's the same old strep we've always dealt with. I read that several people die from this every year and the deaths this year are not more than were seen in pre-pandemic years. The newsworthiness seems to be that it spiked earlier and harder this year like most illnesses seem to have done. If you have a bad sore throat just get a throat culture to check for strep and get antibiotics for it ASAP.

Quote Originally Posted by ErinKC View Post
    It's my understanding that this is just a normal wave of strep infections that happened to start earlier than usual and spread a bit more widely, but that it's the same old strep we've always dealt with. I read that several people die from this every year and the deaths this year are not more than were seen in pre-pandemic years. The newsworthiness seems to be that it spiked earlier and harder this year like most illnesses seem to have done. If you have a bad sore throat just get a throat culture to check for strep and get antibiotics for it ASAP.
    I guess one plausible reason for the current Strep A outbreak's greater media attention over the past couple of weeks is no doubt in part a consequence of the Covid pandemic and our increased hypervigilance towards infections in general during the best part of the past 3 years (despite both Covid and Strep A being fundamentally unrelated as specific infections), whereas during previous outbreaks it would probably have barely registered in the news.

I now also presume that the 'Strepsils' brand name in the UK derives from the word/term 'Strep'.

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    I guess one plausible reason for the current Strep A outbreak's greater media attention over the past couple of weeks is no doubt in part a consequence of the Covid pandemic and our increased hypervigilance towards infections in general during the best part of the past 3 years (despite both Covid and Strep A being fundamentally unrelated as specific infections), whereas during previous outbreaks it would probably have barely registered in the news.

I now also presume that the 'Strepsils' brand name in the UK derives from the word/term 'Strep'.
    Yes, I think that's probably true. It's also true this seems to be a particularly heinous fall. My daughter has had 8 separate viruses since August. It's literal hell. She's missed 17 days of school. And the flu has peaked way earlier than usual. I think we definitely threw viruses and other illnesses into some crazy tailspin with lockdowns so for sure people are feeling it a lot more intensely this year. I am really hoping this kind of resets us and next year isn't as bad. This has been the worst year of illnesses for us since my child was born (she's 8).

So, I think any peak in any illness has become newsworthy - also because the news needs something to get clicks and views.

Go away and compare Strep A stats for pre-2019 to now.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...d-2022-to-2023

(I do wish they'd differentiate the years better)

It's media-fuelled ******** and I don't say that lightly.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information