Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Strep A vs Covid

Re: Strep A vs Covid

Yes, exactly. It’s just peaking a bit earlier than previous year just like the flu and other winter ailments.

Quote Originally Posted by ErinKC View Post
    Yes, I think that's probably true. It's also true this seems to be a particularly heinous fall. My daughter has had 8 separate viruses since August. It's literal hell. She's missed 17 days of school. And the flu has peaked way earlier than usual. I think we definitely threw viruses and other illnesses into some crazy tailspin with lockdowns so for sure people are feeling it a lot more intensely this year. I am really hoping this kind of resets us and next year isn't as bad. This has been the worst year of illnesses for us since my child was born (she's 8).

So, I think any peak in any illness has become newsworthy - also because the news needs something to get clicks and views.
    And the remaining 'pro-lockdowners' are basically going about with a 'defeatist' attitude by insisting we all hide away from every single infection/illness out there, which will probably do our immune systems more harm than good in the long run.

If certain individuals still wish to 'self-lockdown' , whether over Covid, flu, Strep A, Monkeypox, Norovirus, common colds, you name it, then that's obviously their prerogative.

But even as far as Covid itself is concerned, never mind all the other things I mentioned in my previous paragraph, full-on national lockdowns are no longer thought to be warranted, as we would probably still be having them now on and off if they were, and I'm sure I heard the other day that even certain elements of the Chinese authorities are now finally starting to concede their 'zero-Covid' policies to be 'untenable' and a waste of time.

There won't be another lockdown, Lenco. You don't need to keep trying to convince yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    There won't be another lockdown, Lenco. You don't need to keep trying to convince yourself.
    Exactly. It's old hat now.

So maybe there's no need for any more threads about it?

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    So maybe there's no need for any more threads about it?
    AMEN!

FMP
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Pamplemousse View Post
    Go away and compare Strep A stats for pre-2019 to now.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...d-2022-to-2023

(I do wish they'd differentiate the years better)

It's media-fuelled ******** and I don't say that lightly.
    ^ this.

And now we have Camel Flu off the back of the footie. Symptoms include getting the hump (gets in before pulisa) and tight underwear should be avoided by women to avoid "the toe"

I think you need to differentiate between anxiety driven discussion and normal discussion. If the latter, there's nothing wrong with that but if it's the corner be aware it's a negative behaviour only reinforcing your mental health issues.

Somebody may raise a thread about it but only if they perceive they have symptoms and likely we will see it on the HA board (and for a reason).

Some of the parents on here are also bound to be concerned as I'm sure they are the absolute minefield of illnesses kids can go through. The general public are already panic buying testing kits the NHS don't use because they believe them to be inaccurate.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    ^ this.

And now we have Camel Flu off the back of the footie. Symptoms include getting the hump (gets in before pulisa) and tight underwear should be avoided by women to avoid "the toe"

I think you need to differentiate between anxiety driven discussion and normal discussion. If the latter, there's nothing wrong with that but if it's the corner be aware it's a negative behaviour only reinforcing your mental health issues.

Somebody may raise a thread about it but only if they perceive they have symptoms and likely we will see it on the HA board (and for a reason).

Some of the parents on here are also bound to be concerned as I'm sure they are the absolute minefield of illnesses kids can go through. The general public are already panic buying testing kits the NHS don't use because they believe them to be inaccurate.
    My dad was telling me that Strep A is not a new thing and nothing like Covid all over again, plus he also believes that had this current bout of Strep A infections happened pre-Covid the media probably wouldn't have made as much of a big deal of it.

But the media love to keep making us scared of something or other.

No need for you to be one of those people who believe whatever is written in the media though?

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    My dad was telling me that Strep A is not a new thing and nothing like Covid all over again, plus he also believes that had this current bout of Strep A infections happened pre-Covid the media probably wouldn't have made as much of a big deal of it.

But the media love to keep making us scared of something or other.
    Yes - Strep has been around for ages. It used to cause scarlet fever and be much more serious before antibiotics. Now, it's pretty innocuous, causing a handful of deaths each year among more vulnerable populations like most illnesses do.

Years ago I read George F. Kennan's memoirs (he was an American diplomat throughout the Cold War, well known for writing about "containment"). In the 1920s when he was just about to start college he got strep and ended up missing the entire first semester because it took that many months for him to overcome it without antibiotics. So, it's nothing new in the slightest.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information