Thread: Off label buspar

Off label buspar

My GI doctor prescribed buspar 5mg 3x daily before meals. Its supposed to help relax the digestive system so I can eat more, because I have low appetite and early satiety from chronic gastritis and other issues (anxiety doesn’t help of course) as well as possible gastroparesis I’m being tested for that in a few weeks. Inhaven’t been able to eat more than a few bites at a time recently. I didn’t realize until I got home and googled it (of course) that buspar is an anti anxiety med. I’m scared to take it now because I had an awful experience with ssris and I’m worried about side effects. My doctor didn’t say anything about what to expect.

Re: Off label buspar

Quote Originally Posted by Librella View Post
    I got home and googled it (of course) that buspar is an anti anxiety med. I’m scared to take it now because I had an awful experience with ssris and I’m worried about side effects.
    Buspar (buspirone) isn't an antidepressant, or related to any other anxiety meds such as benzodiazepines so it is unlikely to cause the issues you had with SSRI. In fact when taken with SSRIs, SNRIs and serotonergic TCAs it often moderates some of their side-effects.

My doctor didn’t say anything about what to expect.
    If doctors stopped treating their patients like mushrooms there'd be much less need for forums like this sub and 'Dr' Google could retire.

Thread Information