Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Low heart rate (driving me nuts)

Low heart rate (driving me nuts)

Hi all,

I have made a few posts in the past related to my heart, but as things change, so does my mental state. I'm aware that it's best to consult a doctor (which I will), but short-term reassurance is something I'm seeking.

To provide background context to my life, I'm a 19 year old male who's morbidly obese (23 stone | 322lbs | 144kg) at a height of 6ft 0in. I have in the past suffered with health scares, with heart rates being rapid. I've had numerous ECGs, blood tests, chest x-rays, even a Holter monitor. All of these tests came back normal, yet my pain and suffering continued. I suffer a lot with chest pains, palpitations, shortness of breath, cold/blue skin (arms, inner thigh, feet, hands, etc.), constant congested nose, and much more. None of these symptoms have had an official diagnosis, but a couple of potentials have been anxiety, GERD, and the vaccine (only had the first 2). My GP is the one who suggested it was the vaccine, since a lot of info on damage has been coming to light, and would point towards a reason as to why I have had no conclusive result for my suffering. Through inflammation and immune system damage, all of these things could be caused.

Recently I have been hyper focused on my pulse rate and prolonged chest pain. My RHR (resting heart rate) can vary from low 60's to mid 60's, but my pulse (when not checking) is very slow and heavy. When it's low I can feel every pulse beat, and then comes the light-headedness, dizziness, chest pain & even palpitations. All of these things would point to something bad right, and the first response is to say "go get that checked out". In the past year I've had 4-5 blood tests, 3 chest x-rays, 10+ ECGs on the big machines, etc. nothing has ever shown and none of these issues seem to crop up when I'm there - because I'm always anxious.

I've noticed that when I sleep my heart rate is low, 45-55 bpm. And if I stand up or sit down, or move in a certain way, my body does the drop in HR (goes to mid 40s and then straight up to 90-100) and all of that stuff I mentioned earlier comes. From what I've searched, all I can see is low blood pressure when moving? Also known as hypertension.

Edit: I also feel like I have to manually breath the majority of the time

Has anyone got any advice or info they could share on the matter?

Thank you in advance,
    Ethan
    Last edited by ethan2003; 11-12-22 at 20:05.

Re: Low heart rate (driving me nuts)

Well, I'm definitely seeing some anxiety..

Have you had a tilt test done?

P.S shortness of breath could be down to anxiety or unfitness. (Or both)

I haven't had a tilt test, is that something that I should ask my GP for?

Also, thank you for the reply <3

Your heart rate isn't low, and you've had all the tests to show you there's no problem.

Your heart rate isn't 'driving you nuts', your behaviour/checking is. The rest IS anxiety.

If you have evidence (all the tests) that nothing is wrong, the only thing left to check is you, and how you're behaving. Self confessed constant checking? Why are you checking if nothing is wrong? That in itself is the sole cause of the problem here.

Also, I felt like absolute d0gshit after my vaccine a year ago, and I'm only just starting to (I think) feel back to normal now.

Just get on with your life. Lose some weight and focus on self betterment. You're 19, the easiest possible time in life to lose weight and get fit again. Focus on that.

What you described could all be down to being unfit. You've had multiple tests as you've mentioned, so it's unlikely to be anything that can't be addressed with lifestyle changes. You're young enough in that you're highly unlikely to have too much wear and tear on your heart, so dropping the weight will make a huge difference.

Your heartrate dropping and shooting up on standing sounds like a circulation issue, along with the limb coldness. This can be caused by long periods of inactivity, as the heart suddenly has to push a bunch of blood to all of your limbs when you start moving around. If you have extra weight, it has to work a lot harder. It's also possible that you're hyperventilating due to anxiety, and this is making you feel short of breath along with the skin colour changes.

Chest pain, dizziness etc can be from anxiety over realising your heart rate is "too low". You've done the right, and sensible thing by getting it checked out, and since they didn't find anything worrisome, that makes anxiety a more likely reason.

What did they test your blood for just out of curiosity?

Thank you for you reply.

The blood tests were at a hospital that I went to with chest pains. Just a general blood test used to check for troponin levels (damage to the heart), but it shows everything else as well.

A lot of this does sound like anxiety - especially because you note that many of the follow up symptoms occur after you note your heart rate. Your heart rate is likely stable through the day but when you check it you panic and then all the anxiety symptoms flood in.

I agree with others that some of this could also be down to your weight. If you are interested in losing weight is there somewhere you can go to see a nutritionist or other expert or therapist who can help you get on a healthy path?

Isn't that a normal heart rate? -- actually a very good one, considering how heavy you are.

Quote Originally Posted by serith View Post
    Isn't that a normal heart rate? -- actually a very good one, considering how heavy you are.
    It is, until you Google.....

Then breathing is fatal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information