Thread: Worried about my own panic attacks

Unhappy Worried about my own panic attacks

I rarely get serious panic attacks, and nowadays when I do its related to losing money or something of he sort. In the moment when it happens my panic/anxiety attacks are quite strong...heart starts to beat really fast, sweaty palms etc. the lot...and then it gets to the point where I start to feel unwell (like ive reached a limit) Kind of a feeling like I want to puke or pass out.

I'm getting worried that I could give myself a stroke/ heart attack with one of these.. Even now I'm very controlled even going through these..but it feels absoutely horrible (like death basically) And even knowing what im going through my brain is trying to get me to scream out for help or something similar (reptilian brain) But as I said my biggest fear is getting a heart attack with one of these?

Re: Worried about my own panic attacks

Quote Originally Posted by LondonRain View Post
    I rarely get serious panic attacks, and nowadays when I do its related to losing money or something of he sort. In the moment when it happens my panic/anxiety attacks are quite strong...heart starts to beat really fast, sweaty palms etc. the lot...and then it gets to the point where I start to feel unwell (like ive reached a limit) Kind of a feeling like I want to puke or pass out.

I'm getting worried that I could give myself a stroke/ heart attack with one of these.. Even now I'm very controlled even going through these..but it feels absoutely horrible (like death basically) And even knowing what im going through my brain is trying to get me to scream out for help or something similar (reptilian brain) But as I said my biggest fear is getting a heart attack with one of these?

I’m sorry you’re going through this. I’ve been there. It’s very unpleasant. Be assured the physical effects of a panic attack are harmless and you are not in danger.

Quote Originally Posted by LondonRain View Post

A panic attack cannot cause a heart attack or stroke, it's not how it works.

Also, don't label a panic attack as 'serious'. There's nothing serious about them, they're just a physiological response. It's like saying 'serious sneeze'.

Just because they are (tremendously) unpleasant, doesn't make them serious or dangerous. You need to reframe your reaction to them and not placing them on the fear pedestal.

Agreed. They're horrible, but if you reframe them as an annoying nuisance it can help tremendously.

I read this earlier today on Anxiety Care website, among other things, you'll be OK....

• we have never come across a single case of someone dying as a result
      of a panic attack.
    • we have never come across a case of anyone ‘going mad’
      as a result of a panic attack.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueIris View Post
    Agreed. They're horrible, but if you reframe them as an annoying nuisance it can help tremendously.
    I'm struggling to do exactly that at the moment. Any tips?

Thread Information