Thread: Gallbladder Removal

Gallbladder Removal

Hello all, finally I am biting the bullet and having my gallbladder and it’s whopping stone removed at end of March. I was supposed to get it done 2 years ago but it was during covid so I put it off. As my attacks have increased I have decided I need to get it sorted as they are so painful and debilitating. In between attacks I have no issues and unlike many have not found any particular triggers. This is mainly why I have delayed getting it done. Mid attack when rolling around in agony, I will happily whip it out there and then but afterwards it is much less of a priority!

Anyhoo, I have a few questions and don’t want to google (have been prone to health anxiety) so as quite common I thought others maybe on here have experience of this?

My op is scheduled as keyhole, so I am expecting to be home same day (consultant says take bag just in case but not likely to stay in), however assuming it is keyhole will I be up to working (desk job which I can do from home) within a day or so? I also have some prebooked theatre tickets for 3 days after which I’d like to not waste, also driving? Any tips or things to be aware of? The dr went through so many risks but I know that is standard. All being well am I likely to need to be near loo for several days after? In pain from the gas, incisions or internal procedure? Apart from having health related anxiety I am quite stoic and optimistic when getting stuff done. Am I kidding myself I wil be up and about, at theatre, poss working etc within a day or two? Feel free to dm me if anything is a poss trigger, I just want to set my own expectations. A friend had it done (but can be a tad dramatic) and reckons I will struggle for weeks to do anything! Surely not?!

Thanks
    Love flump x

Re: Gallbladder Removal

I had my gallbladder removed in my early 20s. I think age has a lot to do with how quickly you recover. I felt 100% by day 4-5 after the surgery. There was no pain at the incision sites (I also had keyhole or laparaoscopic). I felt a little bloated and nauseous the night of the surgery but not bad. I was able to go home same day. The key to surgery recovery is taking it easy and not pushing yourself. You should ask your doctor for specifics, but I imagine nothing strenuous for a week will be the instruction.

You will probably notice some "adjusment" with your bowel habits as your body gets accustomed to a steady drip of bile into the GI tract instead of only after a meal. For me, the adjustment was brief and I had no long lasting issues like diarreah.

You'll be fine. It's a very common surgery.

I had it done keyhole and I was off for around a month I think. To be honest for a little while afterwards I felt like I'd been kicked in the stomach by a horse. I think because my job involves twisting, lifting limbs and scrabbling round on floors at times I was very cautious and went with the advice from our works Occupational Health, which meant taking it easy and not putting pressure/strain on the area. Also take into account that general anaesthetic can make you feel a bit grotty for a few days afterwards.

Having said all that, I was very relieved after I'd had it done, the pain from gallstones is horrendous, far worse than recovering from the surgery.

Thanks both. I am hoping for the same flapj (although I’ll be a tad older at 50!) I am hoping a week taking it easy and hopefully going to sit and watch the show will be ok. I’m lucky catkins that my job is a desk one so nothing strenuous. Biggest challenge I think will be my 2 springer spaniels but oh will have to do some work from home that week I think so he is around. I play in a band and consultant has told me to allow 4 weeks before I try and play. I agree too about gallstone pain. I never appreciated how awful it was until had it. I honestly would pick childbirth and first few times I did wonder if I was having a heart attack. I’m naturally apprehensive about surgery and a ga but will also be pleased to see the back of the attacks!!
    Love flump xx

Had mine out last April, done laparoscopically which is what I think you’re calling keyhole? By day three I was much better. Driving by day 5. Back to work in office after a week. Was able to sit at my laptop and work from home two days post op. Was just mostly sore and tender. Totally worth it to never experience those attacks again lol.

Hi glassgirlw, thanks for replying. That is so reassuring and the post I wanted to see I think (hope) so long as don’t have to open me up that I should be able to take week off work / reply to stuff from home and get a lift to theatre to watch a show. I plan on following all advice as play in a band and want to be in a concert 4 weeks post op. Just hard to find a slot to get op
    Done and been putting off for so long. I really need to just get sorted! Thanks for reply - it helps! Xx

Thread Information