Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Places where you have PA's.

Places where you have PA's.

If I have a panic attack in a certain place like a supermarket for example I just wont go there again, like ever.. because I worry that it would happen again there like it did before. But I had a panic attack somewhere where I need to go everyday.

How can I go back there? I'm so worried that it will happen again.

Does anyone else think like this?

Many Thanks xx

Re: Places where you have PA's.

hi there KittyKate you probably know that the worst thing you can do is to avoid the place again (easier said than done though eh!!)
    I started to do this 3 years ago and gradually one by one i lost all i had because i was afraid to "go back"
    please don't make the same mistake otherwise you will end up completely housbound like myself. If you can really force yourself to do it please try and find the courage. After that returning there won't be so bad
    Nip it in the bud before it gets a real hold!
    take care luv RIchie xxxxxx

Hi Kate..

I've had panic attacks in a lot of places, i've even had them come out of the blue for no reason while watching t.v... It's scary but it does slowly start to get better even if you were like me having 20 or more a day, almost constant...

However being in front or large groups of people like a store or large event gets too me.. Or being in a room with very bright lights..

Like all anxiety, it only lasts as long and you continue to fear it. Face your fears head on and things do start getting better!

Quote Originally Posted by Richie View Post
    hi there KittyKate you probably know that the worst thing you can do is to avoid the place again (easier said than done though eh!!)
    I started to do this 3 years ago and gradually one by one i lost all i had because i was afraid to "go back"
    please don't make the same mistake otherwise you will end up completely housbound like myself. If you can really force yourself to do it please try and find the courage. After that returning there won't be so bad
    Nip it in the bud before it gets a real hold!
    take care luv RIchie xxxxxx
    Great post Richie

I once blamed my pa on a particular pair of shoes! I always seemed to panic when I was wearing those shoes. Then I noticed I panicked outside a particular shop even if I wasn't wearing the panic shoes! It took a while to see a pattern emerging and me putting blame on external influences. however, some influences like stress or tiredness seemed far more credible than which shoes I was wearing. It took me quite some time to go back to places and lay the ghosts.

Normally at home, usually between 5 pm and 8 pm no idea why, i am worse at weekends also no idea why, and sometimes they wake me up in the night.

Hi there,
    Is there anyone you can go shopping with? Having them with you would provide comfort and support. If you experience a panic, just stand still and slowly deep breathe. The person with you will make sure no harm comes to you. As a last resort, leave the trolley with them and walk out the shop to deep breathe outside. When you feel better, go back in.

Just as the others have said, if you retreat home every time it happens, you'll end up never going out which will create depression on top.

If you allow fear to eat into your activities, it'll end up controlling your life. You need to stand up to it and show it you're the boss by telling it you're not afraid of it. If you can, you'll end up controlling it by proving to yourself nothing will happen to you.

You say you're worried it will happen again. It's your worrying about it that Makes it happen. If it had never happened, you wouldn't be worrying about it and just be doing what you want to do. You need to prove to yourself you've nothing in reality to worry about and then they won't happen or at least not worry you if they do because you'll know how to cope with them.

If you can get support to go with you, it'll help you to help yourself.

Hiya
    Yep I am like that in Queues or hot packed shops or theatre, restaurants etc. Its the feeling of "i cant get out" and the more you avoid the worse It gets. I havent been to a concert with my husband for 20 years because I avoid it like the plague but went last night and did EFT on myself before I went out and I took 2 kalms tablets as well. I still avoid buses, busy shops etc so I must work on that but its true - avoidance breeds avoidance.Love Wenjoy x

you need to deal with the panic attacks... a panic attack is a panic attack -wherever you are! i did what you're doing and im telling you there's only so long you can go on like that until your life becomes so small and depressing you have no choice to go to those places again. only thing is - the longer you leave it until you go there again the harder it'll become. if you go to those places thinking ''i'm goping to have a panic attack'' then its more than likely you will. have you looked into cognative behavioural therapy??? if you cant afford it there's a book called 'mind over mood' its a self help book with different exercises/activities to do based on CBT. well worth the look. you're gonna have to overcome your fears one day - sooner is always better than later x x x

Kittykate,

It's a horrible feeling isn't it?

Like many before who have alluded to this, it is something that you can face head on and you can win over.

Little steps KittyKate, little steps and they will become big ones before you know it. When the fear tries to kick in try saying to yourself; 'So what - big deal, what can it do to me??? Nothing, nothing nothing....I am in control of my emotions and I will meet this challenge head on'
    Do it everytime, same type of affirmation and this will engrain itself within and give you your confidence. The breathing is also of great help as this relaxes you so please try to get into a routine and never ever give up on yourself because you know you can and will get better.

All the very best,

BB(Roy)

There are as many nights as days, and the one is just as long as the other in the year's course. Even a happy life cannot be without a measure of darkness, and the word 'happy' would lose its meaning if it were not balanced by sadness.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information