Thread: Angry with AI

Angry with AI

I'm getting really annoyed at how people are viewing and using AI.

There's a new tool on the market called ChatGPT. It's an AI that can write content. It allows people to cheat the writing process and setup websites etc. without even knowing how to write.

I was having a discussion in a freelance writing community and I mentioned that ChatGPT is awful and people should instead learn how to write properly. I got pounced on and trolled.

It's stupid that even the writing community is now in support of using AI tools to generate content.

Another nail in the coffin for cognitive thinking. Why bother to learn to write at all if an AI can do it for you?

I feel old and outdated because I'm not using these "time saving", and "convenient" tools. This ChatGPT tool doesn't pass plagiarism checkers. Google will penalize your website if it thinks you've used AI tools, and it can tell.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Re: Angry with AI

One silver lining; quite a few people have gone back to vinyl records for listening to music over the past 15 years or so and more recently even audio cassette tapes.

Both of which technologies in turn were ridiculed themselves in earlier times, ironically.

In fact, most technological developments that have abounded over the years were frequently met with derision and the subject of moral panics (especially by the older generations) when they were new.

Let's face it, TV (and later video movies and games) were often blamed for corrupting young minds and inadvertently turning youngsters into ne'er-do-wells, especially with the 'video nasties' hysteria of the 80s and the first half of the 90s, Sony Walkmans were feared to 'rot youngsters' brains' in the early-mid 80s, then mobile phones were thought to cause cancer and other radiation-fuelled illnesses in the 90s.

And as far as cassette tapes were concerned, home taping didn't actually kill 'new' music back in the 80s. In fact, at the height of said 'panic', many singular blank cassettes alone were rather expensive, and the highest quality ones in particular (which were probably the most likely to be sold singly as well as part of a multipack) often weren't that much cheaper than most regular-length vinyl LP albums available at the time. Also (and ironically) twin cassette decks that enabled people to make direct copies of commercial pre-recorded cassette albums subsequently started appearing on the market en masse as the then-current music piracy scares were starting to blow over, and then forgotten about for the next 15-20 years or so until the first mass-market CD-Rs and burning devices, plus not forgetting the Internet, first started to abound.

And now, some further 15-20 years later, that 'second coming' of music piracy panics now barely seems to register.
    Last edited by Lencoboy; 08-01-23 at 14:12.

Hi wired,

AI is a concern for many people and basically scares the pants off them. Do we need it? Probably not. But it's not going to delay the use of it. You can however refuse to take part in anything you feel is not right in your opinion and avoid those areas as much as possible.
    We are certainly in changing times, but...
    As Lencoboy says, there are things from the past that are becoming more popular too and that will become more of aan attraction as we move in to the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Carnation View Post
    As Lencoboy says, there are things from the past that are becoming more popular too and that will become more of aan attraction as we move in to the future.
    Absolutely spot on Carnation.

I think a lot of us have wised up since those heady days of the 90s and 2000s, where we seemed to be more indifferent towards a lot of the radical technological and social changes sweeping society at the time.

I'm not suggesting we stay still forever more, but technological and social advancements, whatever they may be, need to be managed effectively and appropriately. It's when they're mismanaged and misused that they become problematic, then all kinds of technological and social anarchy breaks out.

It's when they're mismanaged and misused that they become problematic, then all kinds of technological and social anarchy breaks out.
    That's spot on too Lencoboy.

I use ChatGPT a fair bit. I don't use it to teach me things. But it's useful. I asked a question earlier:

You are an expert in blender 3D. You are also an expert on David Firth. I have a video of a person talking. I want to mask around the lips so I can put the lips onto another video. What can I use in blender to achieve this?
    It told me about rotoscoping. So I watched some videos on how to do it in Blender. I learned a new skill

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Thread Information