Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Still getting breathlessness a month after COVID and chest infection.

Still getting breathlessness a month after COVID and chest infection.

I had COVID at the start of December, followed by a lower chest infection around the 18th.

This is the time my night sweats went out of control and became a problem. During COVID and the chest infection I had shortness of breath. It was very bad at one point. Walking up the stairs took it out of me.

It’s now almost the middle of January and I’m still having breathlessness. It’s different to the anxiety breathlessness.

It’s like it puts a strain on my body. I can feel it in my chest. The same feeling you get when you start jogging.

I get very hot (even when it’s freezing cold). Today I walked up a long hill, and I was breathing hard. I had to take my thin hoody jacket off and was walking around in a t-shirt. Everybody else was wrapped up warm.

The same thing happened when I lifted the shopping bags from the floor, into the boot. And it happens sometimes when I’m doing my prayer.

I’m not anxious when this happens. I don’t panic. I’m sort of used to it since having COVID. But, this all started to happen after I got COVID. Both breathlessness and night sweats are a symptom of long COVID.

I am concerned COVID has damaged my heart, or I have some type of long COVID going on. It is what it is I guess, I'm not worried in that sense. I just want to feel back to normal again. Even when I did my 13 mile walk, the hills on the way back were not nice. I had the same feelings, but I plodded on so I could get home before it was dark.

My other half has the same problem. She just walked up the stairs and started to eat and you could hear it. I mentioned it to her and she's having the same problems.

Has anybody experienced this after COVID or illness?
    Last edited by WiredIncorrectly; 12-01-23 at 18:52.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Re: Still getting breathlessness a month after COVID and chest infection.

Quote Originally Posted by WiredIncorrectly View Post
    I had COVID at the start of December, followed by a lower chest infection around the 18th.

This is the time my night sweats went out of control and became a problem. During COVID and the chest infection I had shortness of breath. It was very bad at one point. Walking up the stairs took it out of me.

It’s now almost the middle of January and I’m still having breathlessness. It’s different to the anxiety breathlessness.

It’s like it puts a strain on my body. I can feel it in my chest. The same feeling you get when you start jogging.

I get very hot (even when it’s freezing cold). Today I walked up a long hill, and I was breathing hard. I had to take my thin hoody jacket off and was walking around in a t-shirt. Everybody else was wrapped up warm.

The same thing happened when I lifted the shopping bags from the floor, into the boot. And it happens sometimes when I’m doing my prayer.

I’m not anxious when this happens. I don’t panic. I’m sort of used to it since having COVID. But, this all started to happen after I got COVID.

I am concerned COVID has damaged my heart, or I have some type of long COVID going on. It is what it is I guess, I'm not worried in that sense. I just want to feel back to normal again. Even when I did my 13 mile walk, the hills on the way back were not nice. I had the same feelings, but I plodded on so I could get home before it was dark.

Has anybody experienced this after COVID or illness?
    Perhaps I was just lucky, but I didn't experience anything like that after my Covid last February, though I did experience something very similar after a prolonged bad flu-like illness during December 2000-early January 2001 at the age of 23 1/2 which really knocked me for six at the time, but no big deal ever really seemed to be made of such illnesses back then, unless it was something extremely mega critical, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    Perhaps I was just lucky, but I didn't experience anything like that after my Covid last February, though I did experience something very similar after a prolonged bad flu-like illness during December 2000-early January 2001 at the age of 23 1/2 which really knocked me for six at the time, but no big deal ever really seemed to be made of such illnesses back then, unless it was something extremely mega critical, of course.
    I thought you was older than that lenco. I'm 38. I feel old now. Or do you mean you was 23 when you had the illness in 2000's? You had your COVID jabs?

Edit: My bad, you would have been 1 in 2000. You're older than me I think?

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Quote Originally Posted by WiredIncorrectly View Post
    I thought you was older than that lenco. I'm 38. I feel old now. Or do you mean you was 23 when you had the illness in 2000's? You had your COVID jabs?

Edit: My bad, you would have been 1 in 2000. You're older than me I think?
    Yes, I was 23 in 2000 when I had that illness and I am now 45 1/2. My Covid nearly a year ago was a walk in the park by comparison, though like I said upthread it could probably just have been a case of pot luck with me.

But I had not long been jabbed for the third time in November 2021 just a couple of weeks before the first Omicron (BA.1) was officially declared, so that may have partly had something to do with my Covid back then seemingly being a piece of cake.

I didn't get any jabs. Which is the safe jab? I am off to get it because my body can't handle another COVID, especially with this new one about.

☪️️

But you did walk for 13 miles, James. That's a long way for someone post-Covid.

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    But you did walk for 13 miles, James. That's a long way for someone post-Covid.
    Most of it was straight and downhill. The end was uphill and it was very difficult. I had to pause a few times to catch my breath. I couldn't do that walk again, not how I've been feeling. Infact, I haven't done any walking since then.

Myself and the other half have the same problem, and it's not anxiety related. I wish it was.

☪️️

J, I think you need to factor in your stress levels into this. I don't think you've had a decent baseline level of stress for a while now, and I recognise a lot of what you experience from my own experiences.

I got a new Fitbit for Christmas and it immediately alerted me to my VERY low HRV score, which is a sign of absolute, chronic stress. It explains a lot of what I experience almost continually.

I'm not suggesting for a second that you should get yours checked, but you can become very used to living with stress and cortisol day to day and it becomes the norm.

I have had several periods in my life where I've been so stressed my body literally strangles intself, it puts me in A&E. I have been gasping for breath with 98% O2 saturation.

However, you should get this checked, at least so long covid 'could' be put on your record if you need to. Good news is actually having had covid already is far more effective than any vaccine you could get at this point. Apparently.

Also, at nearly 40 it can take a very, very long time to recover from an infection. Multiple months would not be unusual.

Quote Originally Posted by ankietyjoe View Post
    J, I think you need to factor in your stress levels into this. I don't think you've had a decent baseline level of stress for a while now, and I recognise a lot of what you experience from my own experiences.

I got a new Fitbit for Christmas and it immediately alerted me to my VERY low HRV score, which is a sign of absolute, chronic stress. It explains a lot of what I experience almost continually.

I'm not suggesting for a second that you should get yours checked, but you can become very used to living with stress and cortisol day to day and it becomes the norm.

I have had several periods in my life where I've been so stressed my body literally strangles intself, it puts me in A&E. I have been gasping for breath with 98% O2 saturation.

However, you should get this checked, at least so long covid 'could' be put on your record if you need to. Good news is actually having had covid already is far more effective than any vaccine you could get at this point. Apparently.

Also, at nearly 40 it can take a very, very long time to recover from an infection. Multiple months would not be unusual.
    I hear you.

The concerning part is since I've had COVID the night sweats are really bad. The being out of breath feels the same as it did when I had COVID, If my other half didn't have the same problem I'd put it down to stress.

I'm not anxious about this. It's more stressful that I have to keep dealing with it. I'll wake up in the morning and feel deflated because it was another night of waking up drenched. My temperature is very wonky at the minute. I'll feel deflated when the breathlessness happens.

Ultimately I'm out of control of this situation.

I hope it improves. I think I'm going to request a full workup. A lot of factors could be at play, including as you say ... taking longer to recover. In retrospect it's been less than a month since I had the chest infection. I was rough on Christmas day with it.

Thanks Joe, Pulisa and Lenco. It's good to have a little natter. I don't have anybody else to discuss this with except my doctor. I can't get an appointment until next Tuesday, and that's only a telephone consultation :S

I don't want to be having any issues this side of A&E. I don't fancy waiting 12+ hours.

☪️️

BTW, the latest Omicron sub-variant some of you may have heard about (nicknamed 'Kracken'), which is now allegedly predominant Stateside and has already been in circulation here over recent weeks, while believed to be the most transmissible thus far, still isn't proven to be any more harmful than existing/previous Omicrons, so it's hardly a case for bringing back restrictions or even national lockdowns right now; the latter which we've managed without since spring 2021.

Nor are the media constantly bombarding us with all things Covid day in day out like they still were well into 2021, as coverage of it in general has seemingly become more sparse and sporadic since around last spring or so, plus of course (and for better or worse) the daily Covid stats were also given the heave-ho around that same time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information