Thread: Routine bloodwork and ECG ... but my brain is freaking out.

Routine bloodwork and ECG ... but my brain is freaking out.

I got a letter through saying I need a routine ECG and full bloodwork because the meds I'm on can apparently cause some problems.

I'm fine with having the bloodwork, but the ECG scares the life out of me. I know the moment they put the pads on me I'll go into a panic attack.

This happened to me before when I had my first ECG some 18 years ago. The lady doing the test confused my panic attack and thought I was confused why my heartrate was high. I heard her say they were going to keep me in so I legged it.

I have had an ECG when I've went to A&E for panic attacks, and they seemed ok then. Maybe because I needed that instant reassurance to stop the panic. Heart related HA is one of the controlling fears of my life.

My brain is saying what if my white blood cells are high? What if I have high cholesterol? What if they find a heart problem?

I can skip the test, I did last year, but I actually want to have it done. Knowing there's a problem they can address is the wiser thing to do.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Re: Routine bloodwork and ECG ... but my brain is freaking out.

Instead of fearing the ECG, why not take an interest in the kit they use and how it works? It'll help with your electronics study (Two words: differential amplifiers)

The last time I had an ECG was when I was taken into hospital after suffering chest pains during Covid - it turned out to be the mother and father of all panic attacks, combined with a bad reaction (I think) to a new antidepressant which made my blood pressure shoot up and my heart race - I stopped taking it immediately. The panic attack was caused by reading all the new rules and restrictions for my workplace at the time, which were really challenging!

Thing is... the new kit they use now gets a result in seconds: it takes far longer to stick the electrodes on you and clip you up.

Hope that helps, buddy.

Ha, that's a good perspective. So my trip is to basically go and see and test out the new ECG's and ask lots of questions on how they work. PM, this could actually work. Going to call up and book the tests today.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Thought you'd like that - hope it all goes well for you.

Booked for mid Feb. Was hoping for sooner. Dentist tomorrow because filling came out, but I'm not bothered about the dentist. Odd that.

☪️️

ECGs (I'm old school and call them EKGs) are pretty brilliant actually. Just about any heart issue can be spotted with one. Even more reassuring, a raised heart rate due to anxiety (tachycardia) is usually not an issue on an EKG. The notation will say something like "sinus tachycardia" which just means a normal rhythm but at a faster rate. It can spot prior or current heart attacks, congenital issues, benign issues, just about anything that can go wrong with the heart. I am sure yours will be normal and you can obtain a great deal of relief and reassurance from it.

Btw, if it does come up with some "abnormality" don't freak out. There are dozens of "abonormalities" that are considered normal variants. For example, I have something called left axis deviation. It's just normal for me but the EKG catches it. The doctor will explain it all to you. Good luck!

Thread Information