Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can anxiety cause stool changes?

Can anxiety cause stool changes?

Hello, I’m new here and came across this forum whilst searching for support for health worries. Apologies if I have posted this in the wrong place wasn’t sure if it should go in health anxiety or this board.

I need help.

I am losing my mind with worry. I am in tears as I type this. I can’t stop this worry and loss of control. It consumes my every waking thought. As soon as my eyes open in the morning within a second the worry and anxiety hits me like a brick. I feel like I’m making myself ill.

Apologies in advance for the length of this and for the tmi…. I just need a space to write everything down even if nobody replies I just need to get this weight off my chest.

I am 32 years old married with two kids aged 4 and 1. Since I was a child I have always been a worrier, always very sensitive and anxious, always imagining the worse case scenarios in life. I used to worry about school, grades, exams, my parents getting divorced every time they had a minor argument, university assignments, finding a job, getting pregnant, going through labour etc everything and anything but I never really had health anxiety.

I come from a family where heart disease is rampant, many of my extended family members have passed away from heart attacks and heart failure. My father is a heart patient too but growing up I never used to unduly worry about this. And even now heart disease is not what my anxiety centres on but actually it’s the c word. Looking back I can see the very beginnings of my worry stemmed from when a cousin on my fathers side passed away from blood cancer. She had 4 teenage children and from diagnosis to death it was just about 18 months. She was one of my favourite relatives; a very kind soul and her death affected me a lot and I still think about her all these years later. At the time she passed I was unmarried with no children.

After the birth of my youngest by c section I had to take some laxatives as I was a little constipated. After a few weeks I felt like I recovered from the surgery and was trying to get into a new routine as a family of 4. Things were okay until 2022. We went on a holiday abroad to visit my husbands family it’s a country I’ve been too many times and unfortunately every time I go I tend to get travellers diarrhoea. However this time it was probably the worst stomach bug I had. I visited the bathroom 10 times in the space of an hour and then had nothing for the next 6 days.

Once back in the UK I started taking probiotics and thought everything would be ok. After a couple of weeks I started feeling more tired than normal and had floaters in the eye and headaches. I had blood tests and eye tests and everything was ok apart from low iron. I was very worried and upset for a few days but after feeling better the worry went away.

Then I noticed a faint dark line on my thumb which I worried was melanoma got it checked and the doctor thought it wasn’t anything serious but to keep an eye on it. Again the worry disappeared after a few days.

However the worry I am currently experiencing has lasted for the last 9 months and doesn’t seem to be going away which makes me think it’s something real and serious.

I can’t stop worrying about bowel cancer in particular and other abdominal cancers in general. This worry started when I first heard about Dame Deborah James last summer. My mum noted how she had a physical resemblance to my cousin who died. That led me to other stories of people with cancer and each one was very sad and sobering to read. So looking back I think these 3 things together (the death of my cousin, becoming a parent and wanting to see my kids grow up and the death of this celebrity) all combined together to create a new form of anxiety which I had never had before.

I started noticing that I was becoming very anxious about my bowel habits. I had a few days here and there of loose stools but no increased frequency. In July I had some bloating which was not going away so I went to my GP who arranged a gynae scan for me. I had my first scan in August which showed a 3cm cyst on right ovary and a blocked right fallopian tube. I would be re scanned in a few months. Whilst waiting for the second scan things actually settled and the rest of that summer and autumn I didn’t notice a problem with my bowel movements. Things seemed normal. Normal for me is having a bm once a day or once every other day.

End of November me and my kids ended up on antibiotics for ear infections and I noticed I had loose stools once a day this went on for 2-3 weeks and during that time I was really really anxious and scared that something was wrong. I got a call in Dec saying I could have my gynae rescan the next day so I was assuming that perhaps it would show that my cyst had gotten bigger because of the flare up of symptoms again. But at the scan they said the cyst had gone and the fallopian tube was no longer blocked.

As I was still having issues with my bowels I went back to the GP who arranged a blood test for Coeliac disease and a calprotectin stool test. These came back clear. I also did a home fit test and h pylori test which also came back clear. During this time my bowel movements had settled back to normal again. I put it down to a bug or maybe the health anxiety was actually causing the issues with my bowels.

Since that time I have weeks where I’m ok and not worried. Then I might have a day of loose stools and that’s it the cycle of worry and fear starts coupled with physical symptoms, bloating, loose stools, increased hiccups, etc. Last week I started getting a very horrible discomfort in my abdomen like a throbbing pulsing pain in the lower left quadrant. With each day the discomfort got less and less but during this time I googled the anatomy of the abdomen and started discovering exactly where each of my organs are (had a very rough idea previously) and since then it’s like I’ve become hyper aware of even the tiniest sensation or ache in my body. Stabbing pains started just below my belly button then above, then under my last rib, then on my right side, then on my pelvis then a feeling of numbness on my back.

I’ve tipped over the edge today because yesterday was the first time that I used the bathroom twice: one in the morning and one at night. Apart from the use of laxatives after the c section I can’t remember a time when I had a bm twice in one day. I know for some people it might be very minor and something normal for them but it’s not for me and now I’m petrified.

I have been so anxious because I keep thinking that there must be something physically wrong. I am panicking about bowel cancer especially. I keep imagining the worst case scenarios, I keep looking at my kids and husband and struggling to hold back the tears. I’m on auto pilot doing the things in the house that need doing but my mind is somewhere else. I’ve spoken to my family and they are supportive but I feel their patience is wearing thin at the moment because I can’t stop talking and worrying about it. They think I’m over thinking things.

I have also referred myself for some CBT and I have a telephone consultation at the end of next month. However I keep getting a thought that I’m being arrogant assuming it’s something mental when there could be something physically wrong. I also have a similar thought when I’m on the internet and come across stories with cancer in the headline. My mum told me to just avoid reading it but I get a thought that I need to read it otherwise I’m being arrogant by scrolling past.

I guess my question is can these physical symptoms really be caused by anxiety? Is it my mind fuelling all of this. Is the anxiety the cause or effect? Is worrying causing me to use the bathroom more? Causing me to feel bloated with a tight heavy abdomen?

Last time I spoke to my GP when my results came back he recommended I start the fodmap diet so since then I have been reading some books and resources on it to get myself acquainted with it but I get the worry that what if my symptoms get worse on it or what if it does nothing because there’s something serious going on and I’m wasting time? Since the birth of my youngest I have struggled with losing the baby weight so I now my diet needs an upheaval anyway it’s just that these symptoms don’t allow me to think straight. I feel like I’m battling with myself at every second.

Re: Can anxiety cause stool changes?

Anytime I’m anxious, literally the first thing I do is run for the bathroom because I need to go lol. Anxiety can most definitely affect your digestive system, it’s one of the most common side effects. And, I’d say you’re pretty consistently anxious over yours, and that’s why there doesn’t seem to be any relief - constant heightened anxiety over your bowels is going to cause problems with your bowels. I know it’s easier said than done, but it does sound like you’ve had tests and been given the all clear - so the next step is convincing yourself you’re ok, and working on managing your anxiety.

Can anxiety cause stool changes?

Yes

FMP
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

I've read your full post and it reminds me very much of myself at the same age as you. I picked up a horrendous stomach illness when travelling to a country where I was always ill, it was amoebic dysentry and it took weeks and months to get over back in the UK. After that time I had ongoing IBS, and so any stress and anxiety would cause stomach issues like those you refer to. This was all 30 years ago, and the IBS remains.....it can be debilitating for me at times, especially when pain is involved......and all sorts of 'different types of things' can come out... but its nothing more than IBS. Can anxiety cause stool changes - 100 percent yes ! Anxiety speeds up digestion and causes all sorts of strange changes from the very start of the eating process to the ....end result.

Quote Originally Posted by Carys View Post
    I've read your full post and it reminds me very much of myself at the same age as you. I picked up a horrendous stomach illness when travelling to a country where I was always ill, it was amoebic dysentry and it took weeks and months to get over back in the UK. After that time I had ongoing IBS, and so any stress and anxiety would cause stomach issues like those you refer to. This was all 30 years ago, and the IBS remains.....it can be debilitating for me at times, especially when pain is involved......and all sorts of 'different types of things' can come out... but its nothing more than IBS. Can anxiety cause stool changes - 100 percent yes ! Anxiety speeds up digestion and causes all sorts of strange changes from the very start of the eating process to the ....end result.
    Personally I don't think such issues were quite as well understood 30 years ago as they probably are now, nor were we quite as hyper-aware of stuff in general.

I've never been any stranger to excessive bowel movements and IBS during times of greater stress/anxiety, so I know how crippling it can be for many.

For me personally, it was at its worst during my last few years at school, where not only the toilets were gross, but we were usually forbidden from going during lessons anyway.

Thank God those days are long behind me!

Thank you everyone for your replies. I’m sorry that you’ve also been through similar experiences but strangely it helps to know that we are not the only ones. I hope you are all doing better now.

Yesterday we went on a day trip to another city to see extended family and I didn’t notice any of those abdominal pains that I was worried about. However as soon as we got closer to home I could feel the panic rising in my chest and I have never ever felt anything like that before.

I’m hoping that I can post here more regularly and meet others like yourselves who know what I’m talking about and maybe that combined with CBT and other helpful things can make me feel a little better.

It’s just that worry that it could be the c word or something serious never truly leaves me. I know we all have to pass away one day but I look at my kids and crumble.

Hi everyone just thought I’d keep updating here as it’s a space for me to write down how I’m feeling and perhaps maybe useful to others in the same situation.

So I’ve taken the plunge and today is day 1 of fodmap…part of me think it might make things worse in that if these symptoms are all caused by health anxiety then maybe focusing so much on what I’m eating and bowel movements will not be a good thing. But I think I have to stick out for a couple of weeks at least and see how I go.

Incidentally has anyone here tried the diet?

Yes it can, I’m currently recovering from it. I’ve lost my job and had my wisdom teeth out which triggered anxiety IBS that I’m recovering from. Loose stools and bloating isn’t fun but I’ve had a gp confirm the diagnosis so I just gotta take my fiber and ride it out. Same with you, it’ll pass eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by Anapala View Post
    Incidentally has anyone here tried the diet?
    The wife and I have followed this since 2015. We both have reflux and it really helped. You have to keep a diary though. There are foods that are good that can cause issues and there are foods that are bad that are Ok so... Keep a diary.

FMP
    Last edited by Fishmanpa; 16-02-23 at 01:31.
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Hi all, apologies for the long absence and hope you are all doing well. Similar to you @Cruxis I had a wisdom tooth out last month and was in a lot of pain, past the standard 2-3 days that the dentist tells you about!

Since the last time I posted I’ve been feeling okay for the most part with a few worrying days thrown in. Today is one of them so I’m trying to ride it out as best I can. I have had my first initial call for the CBT and was told I may be eligible for some online classes on health anxiety and should be contacted again in another 2 months once I’m near the top of the waiting list. I would have loved to talk to someone face to face but understand the strain the NHS is under atm.

I did try Fodmap got myself a diary and downloaded the apps but strangely I found that focusing on every single thing I was eating and how it affected my guts made me more worried and apprehensive so I’ve paused that for now. I’m just looking to get into a better routine across all aspects of my life from eating, exercise, work, family, etc.

Thanks for all your support. I hope it’s ok for me to keep checking in and write down how I’m feeling. I’ve always felt that writing helps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information