Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Old TV shows being revived

Re: Old TV shows being revived

The main problem with the entertainment business in general today is that nearly everything seems to be so formulaic, samey, and lacking in originality whether it's TV dramas, soaps, documentaries, films, popular music, you name it. Also as far as pop music is concerned, I can barely tell that much of a difference between now and 2013, or even 2008 in some instances.

In fact, there's actually far more credible 'new' stuff on YouTube than on mainstream TV whose producers don't overdo it with unnecessary background music and on-screen text.

I never heard of that one so I looked it up. It's called "Judge Jerry". I haven't seen it and I won't watch it. I saw the Jerry Springer Show in the 90's and it was too depressing to watch.

Isn't the world's most terrifying mother in law making a return?

Quite a contrast to laid back Byrd.

Although I've always despised the programme personally, I've read that 'Big Brother' is making a comeback on ITV later this year some 5 years after it was first cancelled.

Ditto for the soap 'Neighbours', which was only cancelled last year (2022).

I mean, now what's the point in broadcasters/production companies even bothering to cancel programmes/shows in the first place only to do a U-turn and bring them back again in the not-too-distant future? Are people already nostalgic for 2018 and 2022 respectively, which were the years both the above programmes/shows last aired before their 'hiatuses'?

ETA, There's also been talk recently of 'Byker Grove' being revived in some form or another after a 17-year hiatus.

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    The main problem with the entertainment business in general today is that nearly everything seems to be so formulaic, samey, and lacking in originality whether it's TV dramas, soaps, documentaries, films, popular music, you name it. Also as far as pop music is concerned, I can barely tell that much of a difference between now and 2013, or even 2008 in some instances.

In fact, there's actually far more credible 'new' stuff on YouTube than on mainstream TV whose producers don't overdo it with unnecessary background music and on-screen text.
    As far as I'm concerned, YouTube is the 'new' TV. I recently read that 'traditional' TV viewing (of virtually all channels and programmes) is now in terminal decline, of which I'm certainly not surprised.

Movie rental stores (a la Blockbuster) have also in turn gone the way of the dodo over the past 10-15 years or so obviously for very similar reasons, though public cinemas still appear to be hanging on, even though their respective heydays are probably long passed.

As for recorded music albums (particularly in physical media), if it wasn't for the vinyl revival since the late 2000s, the market would have probably been an even lamer duck by now.

I agree, Youtube is my new TV too. Make sure you use adblocker extension, or Brave browser, so you don't see any ads on YT.

For me there's endless choice to watch. I watch all sorts, programming videos, pokemon, on the busses, open all hours, crime documentaries. Whatever I want it's usually there. I've used torrents most of my life so I can usually get anything I need that's on Netflix etc.

But, YT has mostly everything I want. I'll probably pay a subscription fee to them when I can afford it, just to say thanks.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Quote Originally Posted by WiredIncorrectly View Post
    I agree, Youtube is my new TV too. Make sure you use adblocker extension, or Brave browser, so you don't see any ads on YT.

For me there's endless choice to watch. I watch all sorts, programming videos, pokemon, on the busses, open all hours, crime documentaries. Whatever I want it's usually there. I've used torrents most of my life so I can usually get anything I need that's on Netflix etc.

But, YT has mostly everything I want. I'll probably pay a subscription fee to them when I can afford it, just to say thanks.
    Definitely James.

I wonder how long it might be before dedicated TV sets as we still know them end up going the way of the dodo?

But then again, they can still be repurposed for other uses; e.g, video games, larger-scale computer monitoring, etc, as well as watching YouTube stuff itself through.

I watch a fair amount of YT, almost all of it on my main TV set. Sky have an apps section with YT, amazon TV and the catch up channels, have done for years, more get added as time rolls on.

Like I said upthread, I think most aspects of the entertainment business in general have become increasingly stale over the past 20-odd years or so, be it TV shows, dramas, films, popular music (both on record and live concerts), pubs/clubs, theatre, books, you name it.

I'm sure there's still plenty of worthy newer stuff around (whatever it may be), but unfortunately it just seems to get lost in the ether as we're oversaturated with far too much choice of stuff now (of variable qualities). I know this is a bit of a cliched expression now but truly less is often more!

While this is actually the reverse situation despite the main subject of this thread, the BBC have now (allegedly) given their long-running programme 'Top Gear' the heave-ho, which I'm neither happy nor sad about as I never really watched it anyway.

But I wouldn't mind betting you all it will probably be back once again by 2028 when certain people at Aunty Beeb (and others) start having pangs of nostalgia and start delving into their repertoire of 'old' shows/programmes they fancy bringing back, and 'TG' comes up as one of many.

I'm sure I read somewhere last year (2022) that X-Factor was going to be brought back this year (2023) after a 5-year hiatus, but still no signs of its return as yet, especially as each 'season' started around September every year during said show's original run from 2004 through 2018.

Plus the music industry as a whole is vastly different now to what it was in X-Factor's heyday, especially as CD singles were (only just) still very much the norm when the show first started back in 2004, even though CD singles sales themselves were already in terminal decline by then.

But on the other hand, X-Factor 'comeback' or not, it would be nice to have someone other than LadBaby hogging the Christmas #1 spot every year since 2018 for once.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information