Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Old TV shows being revived

Re: Old TV shows being revived

I recall some time in early 2022 there was talk of a Grange Hill 'film' possibly in the pipeline, but so far nothing appears to have come of it.

Not that I am pining for it; in fact, I personally hope it never sees the light of day as I've got a feeling it will be haphazard, especially as they would never be able to reuse any of the original pupil characters/cast members from back in the series' 80s heyday as they're now all adults (and a few of the classic cross-age cast members are now sadly deceased), plus there's no doubt the dilemma over whether it should have been set/based in either London or Liverpool. Nor would it be representative in any way.

Personally I wish to just remember said show as it originally was back in its heyday; as it was very much of its time and represented the 'zeitgeist' , especially the late 80s era (circa 1986-89) where certain pupil characters (notably Danny Kendall and Ant Jones) were having endless run-ins with that extremely abrasive and insensitive barsteward Bronson (who served as deputy head in 1987-89), who not only had a penchant for confrontations with the pupils but also with many fellow teachers/staff members.

KENNNN-DAAAALLL!!

ETA, I also found the male pupil character Trevor Cleaver who was one of the regulars during that aforementioned era amusing and indeed highly hilarious on occasions, especially where he and his fellow classmates conducted a humming competition in class in the one episode from 1987 where their form teacher Mr Scott almost lost it, which was actually a recycled scene/storyline from some 5 years earlier where a class pulled the same stroke on Mr 'Scruffy' McGuffy.

However, I did find the Gripper Stebson bullying scenes/storylines during the early-mid 80s era of the show (1981-83) quite jarring and uncomfortable to stomach at times, especially the racist stuff in 1983, in particular the epic dust-up in the boys' changing room, which I find cringeworthy in the extreme.
    Last edited by Lencoboy; 07-04-24 at 17:00.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information