Thread: Alternative to valium

Alternative to valium

Any recommendations for alternatives to Benzos for anxiety and panic attacks?

Re: Alternative to valium

As a general rule antidepressants and the cognitive/behavioural (CBT, REBT, etc) and mindfulness therapies are the best treatment option for anxiety disorders (also depression) as they directly address the underlying physical brain problem which manifests these disorders. OTOH, benzodiazepines (BZDs) worsen it.

If you just need something for occasional anxiety then the antihistamine *hydroxyzine has a pretty good track record. It isn't as potent as the BZDs, but is often potent enough to make a real difference. The problem will likely be getting a prescription as UK GPs seem reluctant to prescribe it preferring mirtazapine.

* Hydroxyzine comes in two forms, hydroxyzine pamoate (Vistaril) and hydroxyzine hydrochloride (Atarax). Anecdotally, the pamoate form is claimed to be the more effective anxiolytic, but just how true this is remains a matter of debate in forums.

Other possibilities are pregabalin (Lyrica) and beta-blockers such as propranolol which inhibit the adrenaline fuelled surge of the flight-or-fight response.

How is your anxiety being treated now?

Thread Information