Thread: Does my daughterbhave ocd?

Does my daughterbhave ocd?

This is a long one so bare with me..

My daughter list her both grandads a year apart, she's always had meltdowns some times it can take me over an hour to calm her down, she's just turned 10.

These are the things she does.

She's really clingy to me and fears over me dying and family dying.
    If I'm talking to her for example ask her what drink would she like she always reply eith well what one do you think I should have. Always looking for reasurance, also of I change my tone of voice she goes into a meltdown n gets me to repeat what I said it a nice tone (even no I'm.not shouting), when she writes at school if there is a gap in her letter she has the urge to colour it in and the urge to stretch her body while she does it, I'm going to book in dr as I'm not sure if it's autism also. She's not like this at school she never gets in trouble at school, it's like she bottles it all up and explodes when she comes home, only to me and it makes me feel I have failed her, also if she gets something new she has to start collecting them and watches about them on YouTube, also if I give her donething for example.we had pub tea the other night I gave her an onion ring and she wrapped it up and took it home, didn't realise she had it and she said before I didn't eat the onion ring u gave me n she got really upset over it when k told her she had to throw it away, she said jt would make me sad, I told her it wouldn't but she won't grasp it. Thankyou for reading

Re: Does my daughterbhave ocd?

Quote Originally Posted by Nattynoonoo1990xx View Post
    She's not like this at school she never gets in trouble at school, it's like she bottles it all up and explodes when she comes home, only to me and it makes me feel I have failed her, also if she gets something new she has to start collecting them and watches about them on YouTube, also if I give her donething for example.we had pub tea the other night I gave her an onion ring and she wrapped it up and took it home, didn't realise she had it and she said before I didn't eat the onion ring u gave me n she got really upset over it when k told her she had to throw it away, she said jt would make me sad, I told her it wouldn't but she won't grasp it. Thankyou for reading
    Autism is a possibility from what I'm reading..

Autistic girls in mainstream school have generally learned how to 'mask' by the age of 10. Masking is a survival strategy and it basically means pretending to be like everyone else. It takes a lot of energy, and what's suppressed has to come out somewhere along the line. This can manifest in meltdowns or shutdowns, and the behaviour can be mistaken for 'playing up', or being naughty. (It's neither). I'm autistic, and I was very quiet at school - to the point where I didn't (couldn't) speak - but I was completely different at home...

If you are wanting to get your daughter assessed for autism, then you need to speak to your GP, giving them as much details as you can. Write them down if it helps. (I bullet point mine).

Unfortunately, autistic people are far more likely to have mental health issues like anxiety, OCD, and things can overlap. Has your daughter always had these kind of tendencies, or is it since her grandads died?

Thankyou for replying.

It started in year 1, hated the feel of tights or socks, she gad the odd meltdown, then year 2 thsts when her both grandads passed, it's just escalated from there. She's had belly pain since year 1 she's in year 5 now and we're waiting for an endoscopy as she carrys the gene for ceoliac disease plus she has iga deficiency, I'm going to rj g the doctor today, not sure u wrote in previous post she dies slot if hand flapping Pacing, loud random noises, there's alot of symptoms I have written down to tell the dr

Quote Originally Posted by Nattynoonoo1990xx View Post
    Thankyou for replying.

It started in year 1, hated the feel of tights or socks, she gad the odd meltdown, then year 2 thsts when her both grandads passed, it's just escalated from there. She's had belly pain since year 1 she's in year 5 now and we're waiting for an endoscopy as she carrys the gene for ceoliac disease plus she has iga deficiency, I'm going to rj g the doctor today, not sure u wrote in previous post she dies slot if hand flapping Pacing, loud random noises, there's alot of symptoms I have written down to tell the dr
    Natty, this does read like autism to me..

Best advice I can give you is to write everything down in simple form as the doc can glance through the points. If you're lucky, you might have a doctor who has enough of an understanding of autism that they can see the traits and refer your daughter for assessment. If not, ask to see someone else..

P.S, I couldn't stand wearing tights either. And I used to cry about having to wear those hard scratchy socks that came up my knee. (I did better with a soft cotton ankle sock)'

Just a tip with the sock; try seam free, or turn the sock inside out so that the ridge isn't affecting the toes...

All the best...

Quote Originally Posted by NoraB View Post
    Natty, this does read like autism to me..

P.S, I couldn't stand wearing tights either. And I used to cry about having to wear those hard scratchy socks that came up my knee. (I did better with a soft cotton ankle sock)' Just a tip with the sock; try seam free, or turn the sock inside out so that the ridge isn't affecting the toes...

BIB 1: Sounds pretty much odds on.

BIB 2: There were certain things I hated wearing when I was a kid, and at the residential school I was simply told to 'stop being silly'. When I was about Natty's daughter's age my mom bought me a coat during the one week when I was away at the residential school that was made from a fabric that I don't like, and she was absolutely mortified when I said I didn't like that coat and refused point blank to wear it, saying 'You ungrateful child, that coat cost me a fortune', especially as it was from a premium brand.

As for socks and underwear with hard seams, that must be one of the most ludicrous designs ever. I also have a pet hate of embroidered duvet covers/pillowcases, even though it's usually only on the top side.

It's clear you're concerned about your daughter, and it's understandable. It's great that you're taking steps to understand her better. Some of the behaviors you described, like seeking reassurance and having specific rituals, could potentially be signs of OCD or other anxiety-related issues.
    Booking a doctor's appointment is a good move to get professional guidance and a proper evaluation. Remember, you're not failing her; you're actively seeking help and support, which is a loving and responsible thing to do. Besides, there's a lot of info OCD. You can learn this here now.
    Last edited by SkylaGlenn; 20-11-23 at 02:50.

Thread Information