Thread: In case it helps, your heart flutters can actually be... diaphragm spasms!

In case it helps, your heart flutters can actually be... diaphragm spasms!

I thought I would offer some reassurance, while I'm currently going through a bad anxiety attack myself.
    The one thing that never worries me anymore is the feeling of heart flutters, because after years I have actually discovered that they are diaphragm spasms.
    They happen more when my stomach is very gassy, and when my heart goes fast. I also get them just in general when I'm really tense, or at night when I lie down particularly on my left side.

They feel like little bubbles in my chest. Very often they feel like my heart skips a beat and then gives a hard pound (like a PVC). But I've measured my heart a few times during this and it never skips a beat. That's when I did some research and found they were diaphragm spasms, which give many of the same feelings as skipped beats.
    I feel like there's really not much to be found about that online as a possible reason for chest flutters, and I've never seen it posted on this forum.
    So if I can offer anyone some solace with this, I'm happy to!

Re: In case it helps, your heart flutters can actually be... diaphragm spasms!

Thanks for posting this, as someone who suffers from "IBS" and has some heart issues Ive always been convinced that many of the discomforts I feel in my chest are digestion related rather than cardiac. I regularily get what feels like missed beats but these are often when I also have acid stomach and bloating, the trouble is if you know you have heart trouble ANY strange sensations in the chest and you go into panic mode. Just this can cause your BP to rise and then you do get palpitations or ectopics. Its a sort of self fulfilling prophecy. While any unexplained pain needs a GP to investigate their advice to me of anything in your chest go to A&E is nonsense. BTW when I get the heart blips I also cant lie on my left hand side, Im always convinced Im about to die and Ive had that feeling off and on for 30 years now. Still recommend you dont google any symptoms though.

Yeah, mine are definitely digestion related. If I eat slightly too much, or something I don't agree with, I get diaphragm spasms constantly! The strong ones can make you feel like you can't breathe for a few seconds, but they're all harmless.
    I sometimes also get them when I'm really hungry and my stomach gets very gassy. Or just simply when I'm stressed and it's tensed up a lot.
    For years I thought they were heart flutters, but turns out they are simple diaphragm spasms

It's important to note that ectopic heartbeats like PVCs and PACs are very rarely harmful anyway, so even if it's genuinely a skipped/extra beat, it's not going to hurt you, however awful they may feel.

I get ectopics lot, especially after digestive issues or an illness. My pulse almost always feels normal during a run of them, but occasionally catch a long pause here and there, but my ECG will show the ectopic beats quite clearly. Some happen without a pause and some have that long tell-tale pause before the thump. Most people get ectopics, but just don't feel them. However, if you have inflammation from an upset stomach, irritated oesophagus, or even an issue with your diaphragm, that can irritate the heart and cause those sensations. There's a theory that the vagus nerve is responsible for digestion related ectopic beats.

I'm not sure I've heard about diaphragm spasms mimicing PVC's or heart flutters. I was diagnosed with diaphragm spasms which I almost always get after a viral infection, and its extremely painful to breathe or move my abdomen when it goes into spasm.

Perhaps what you're feeling is a muscle spasm/flutter near your stomach/heart? Gas bubbles can also mimic a PVC, especially if you're feeling a flutter and an ECG shows a completely normal heart beat.
    Last edited by WorryRaptor; 15-03-23 at 12:53.

For me, it's definitely my diaphragm. Could be flutters rather than spams, although I definitely get spasms too where it really hurts.
    But with ectopics or skipped beats, it doesn't affect my breathing. These flutters always do. It's fine if they're a quick one, but if they last for 5 seconds I find it hard to take a breath.
    Not ruling out that they are gas bubbles, I thought this for a very long time because it always happens when my stomach is gassy. But when they affect my breathing it really feels like it's my diaphragm.

Interesting! I've always felt like mine are connected to digestive issues or, my neck squishing the vagus nerve.

My ectopics (PVCs) knock the breath out of me unfortunately, especially if they start running one after the other. It can just feel like a faster pulse, yet the sensation is like a sudden flutter or buzz, then dropping on a rollercoaster, running out of air, and then getting lightly kicked in the stomach or chest. It used to terrify me until I recently started getting them every day for hours. I'm sort of used to them now.

If you do have actual shortness of breath with a flutter, or you feel faint during, always a good idea to get checked out.

Ive had PVCs for years and had them checked by cardiology who were not interested. A consultant told me everyone has them but that I am heart aware. Trouble is when you get a run they can literaly take your breath away. I also have a big problem with air trapped in my chest which feels like bubbles forcing their way up with occasional pains. It would be nice to have a period with No symptoms and get a bit of respite.

Thread Information