Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: Wildlife Thread

Re: Wildlife Thread

I ‘think’ the male is supposed to be more pinky on its crown but I’ve never been able to tell for sure.

My sister has an over friendly blackbird. I had to go round first thing yesterday while she was out. The bird was waiting by her door. Luckily she’s warned me about him so I knew where her food was and I was able to feed him. He came so close, almost touching distance.

A hedgehog has also become aware of the food and she sees one late evening. Also a rat…..less welcome. You are never more than two foot away from a rat apparently, even though you don’t see them.

Ghost…Spillways

Rats are ultimate survivors. They will survive any disaster.

Darksky, that blackbird is tame to humans. I watch many birds on YouTube and I didn't realise how clever they are.
    We have bluetits that bang on the window with their beaks for food. The pigeon will sit on the outer windowsill cooing for food. We've really started something.

I had a bluetit that ‘pecked’ at the window pane too. I thought it was lovely, so I looked online and it said that they peck on the glass at their reflection, usually in nesting season. All my romantic ideas gone….multiple reasons not to google.

https://community.rspb.org.uk/wildli...ting-strangely

Ghost…Spillways

Lol darksky, so it was just vanity

Lovely to hear all these nature stories. Everyone having their own connection with wildlife. Yes rats are survivors and I'm sure they will still be around after humans have gone, you have to admire them. And Darksky, you're right about the rat saying, being never more than 2ft away. There was one under my pillow when I woke this morning. Little blighter, so I caught him in a plastic jug and popped him out of the window.

Well Mr Robin (though it could be Mrs) was homing in on me the moment I left the house. I have to keep suet pellets on me all the time. In fact I feel permanently at the beck and call of animals. All the other birds object to me walking past the feeders, I'll have to move them to the bottom of the garden. Meanwhile black lab can't be left in the house because she has to be with me.

The young Robins are hiding in the lilac bush I think. Though I never really know where they are because they keep totally still. The instinct to not attract attention, not to mention the mottled plumage that blends in with the undergrowth.

I've seen badgers at night in the woods, but not often. Seen a fox during the day, in the grass. They just run off as they're shy.

You've done well to see badgers Peter. Foxes too, both are relatively secretive.

OK well a short time ago we had nature 'red in tooth and claw' out the back here. I heard a commotion and looked out to see a female sparrowhawk mantling a starling. Its wrong to intervene and pointless anyway because her talons will already have done damage. You'd end up with a mortally wounded starling and a sparrowhawk off hunting for something else.

I'm just glad no robins were taken.

Urgh horrible thing to see. I’m so glad my sudden appearance at the window stopped that attack on my bird feeder yesterday.

Yet we love to see the peregrine chicks. It’s a conflict of interest really.

Ghost…Spillways

I’ve just had my own ‘Encounter’. Sat here by the open window something caught my eye outside. Moving my eyes not my head ( I’m well trained like that lol) I saw two fallow does strolling past a couple of yards away. Stupidly I couldn’t help a sharp intake of breath, which they heard and promptly scarpered.

Ghost…Spillways

Oh wow darksky

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread Information