Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Wildlife Thread

Re: Wildlife Thread

I saw a cute robin and took a pic, but it was on a dog poo bin, so I won't post lol . but thats my contribution

Lovely pics and anecdotes. Those Koalas are gorgeous.

Opposite us three ash trees have been felled. While they are on the property of a very big house/garden, its still a shame that trees are being cut down with so much already lost to development. David Attenborough was talking about only 13% of land in the UK being woodland.

Quote Originally Posted by Elise View Post
    I saw a cute robin and took a pic, but it was on a dog poo bin, so I won't post lol . but thats my contribution
    Hope you don't mean the

Long tailed tits are cute. Our RSPB calendar has one on for March.

Not seen any in our garden for a couple of years. We don't get many birds at all now. Prior to the cat invasion we had tons of birds, loads of sparrows nesting in our hedges.

I was fortunate with Sam. He had no interest in birds at all. Well he used to look but that’s as far as it got. He was a devil for mice and shrews. I spent many a time chasing him and a live mouse round the garden…sometimes the house too.

But if you get a cat that’s focussed on birds, the poor things don’t stand a chance.

I haven’t seen a sparrow for years. Or a starling for that matter. They must prefer towns. The blue tits are getting very flirty. I was watching them today, chasing each other along the fence. We will have babies soon. Once a baby was left on the feeder and it had no fear of me at all. I put my hand out slowly and it hopped on. I thought I was going to burst with joy. Then it realised, maybe it shouldn’t be being so forward with me and it flew off. But it’s a memory that I will always keep. It was just so new and perfect.❤️

Ghost…Spillways

We get a fair amount of birds here. It's a rural town so fields are never far away. There's a large area of land that used to be a brickyard, maybe 200 yards distant or less. It belongs to a farmer who for some reason hasn't cultivated it. All he does is cut down new Ash saplings once a year. But there's so many different species of grass and wildflowers. Lots of yellowhammers and reed buntings. There were even a few pairs of corn buntings up until a few years ago.

I think when the farmer eventually passes away it will be 'developed'. An oxymoron if ever there was one. So much of the region has disappeared under concrete and tarmac.

On the way home from the food shop, I was listening to Jeremy Whine. He was talking about councils felling trees. I thought of your Ash, Fishman. In Plymouth there’s a bit of a standoff going on between the council and protesters. An injunction has been taken out but not before 100 of the trees were felled. Apparently they did it in the middle of the night. Safety reasons apparently .….rubbish.
    Really the excuses the council gave were pathetic….the canopy blocked light…interfered with CCTV…they’d grown too big…the trees didn’t fit with the look the council wanted for their development. There were several others but I suspect the latter was the one that mattered to them.

Ok they weren’t ancient oaks or anything but they were mature trees. Another case of councils taking no notice of the people wishes
    Developers won’t be happy until we have concrete as far as the eye can see.

Ooooh…that turned into a rant I wasn’t expecting.

Ghost…Spillways

I saw that darksky, don't get me started

My mom has a Tufted Titmouse that likes to visit. He likes to sit on their yard camera and stare into the lens; he also comes to the windows of their family room and will even bring pieces of food from the bird feeders over to the windows and eat while he's looking in the house. He's a very cute little bird.

I always see lots of robins when I'm out walking with Chisum. I always thought of robins as "town" birds but they apparently love to eat the berries off of the cedar trees so there are just bunches of them. Chisum's favorite birds are crows, geese, and turkey vultures - he likes to chase them as they fly across the sky.
    Sometimes I fly like an eagle, sometimes I'm deep in despair.

That's a very cute bird, Poppy. He's obviously very friendly and adjusted to people.

We had a robin once that loved the mealworms we threw out each morning. One day we forgot so he came and sat on the washing line looking through the kitchen window at us. He had never done that before. So we left it again some time later and he did the same.

I love robins. Some will watch me digging the garden over and then come for the worms. One once stood on the ground 3 feet away from me as I approached him.

Dad once told me they stopped gardening work (he was a landscape gardener) for lunch and the robin that was watching them landed on the handle of the spade they left stuck in the ground. He sat watching them. Probably thinking "shift you lazy sods, I want my lunch".
    Last edited by MyNameIsTerry; 16-03-23 at 14:53.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information