Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Issues that people don't seem to make such a big deal of like they once did

Issues that people don't seem to make such a big deal of like they once did

Here is a list of certain issues, events, etc, that were once heavily the subject of day-to-day conversations and featured extensively in the news, but are seemingly mentioned much less now than before (in no particular rank order) or at least kept lower-key, despite almost all of them still existing in some form or another.

Covid (most recent).
    AIDS/HIV.
    Binge drinking/late-night aggro in town centres, etc.
    Teenage pregnancies.
    Feral youngsters.
    'Ch@v' culture.
    Happy slapping.
    Joyriding.
    Conflicts in Syria and Iraq.
    ISIS and Al-Queda.
    The EDL, Britain First, etc.
    Violent films and 'video nasties' in general.
    'Explicit' content in popular music (not just profanity).
    Muggings.
    Armed robberies of shops, banks, etc.

To name but a few.

Re: Issues that people don't seem to make such a big deal of like they once did

And?

Do you need these issues to be prominently included in the news, Lenco?

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    Do you need these issues to be prominently included in the news, Lenco?
    Not necessarily Pulisa. I'm just curious as they were once big topics but seemingly seldom discussed today, even though most of them still haven't actually gone away.

Plus I'm quite happy in some ways that they're kept lower-key nowadays as I felt the media often overdid many of them at the time, though of course Covid was necessary, especially earlier in the pandemic when there were a lot of unknowns and when vaccines were still yet to be developed.

Some of the issues/events/topics I mentioned in my OP were frequently considered symptoms of 'Broken Britain' during the latter half of the 2000s, which in itself has hardly been mentioned for about 10 years now.

But the media and public opinion moves on I guess.

As you must, Lenco?

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    As you must, Lenco?
    I guess so, yes.

Seems I was right when back in around mid 2020 when Covid was (obviously) the number one concern, I remember saying on here that I bet the media will have probably moved on to the next big 'issue(s)' by 2023, even though Covid as a whole still hasn't gone away, but nevertheless appears to be far less newsworthy of late.

And fast forward another 3 years to 2026, the media in turn will have no doubt moved on to whatever issues are current/relevant by then.

Pulisa has a point. Might it not be worth focusing on the present and making a life for yourself in the here and now.

I always say it, you always ignore it, but why not look into getting out into the world a little more? You'd be invaluable to somewhere like the British Heart Foundation, who sell second-hand electronics.

Also -

Witches.
    Hitler.
    The price of mead.
    The Plague.
    The Empire.
    How Thomas Newcomen is ruining the donkey industry.

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    I guess so, yes.
    You've no more chance of 'moving on' from these things as I have with King Chaz and his side-chick Queen. THOSE PAIR GRIND ALL MY GEARS. THE INJUSTICE!!! ARRRGHHHHH!!!

Autistics have the tenacity of limpets when it comes to shizzle they feel passionately about. (My English teacher got a taste of this when I handed in a 20 page essay on Duran Duran in 82 ha ha)

The Neurotypical Guide of How to Live With an Autistic Human..

Rule number 3: Let them bang on about stuff you have no interest in...

Amma right, Len?

This is true, Nora, but we don’t live with him

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information