Thread: Repeat imaging and "giving in" (CT abdomen)

Repeat imaging and "giving in" (CT abdomen)

Please forgive the long-ish post. I have a dilemma and I really don't know what to do.

The summary is as follows: I have some belly and back pain my rational brain believes is nothing major, maybe back strain from sitting all day. My irrational brain thinks liver cancer, colon cancer, or some other abdominal malignancy. My blood labs are all normal, bowel habits normal, no liver disease other than fatty liver, had a negative Cologuard last year. No family history. I am 43.

My doctor is very patient with me. When I reported to him I was still having this belly pain after 2 months, he ordered an abdominal CT with contrast. I know he is doing this because (i) that is acceptable given the duration of the pain; and (ii) (and perhaps most relevantly) he knows I am panicking over this and imaging will help, assuming a negative scan. He doesn't mind letting me "give in" to the scan demon.

My dilemma is that I want to stop "giving in" to scans. I really do. A search of my records/diary over the last few years shows something like 5-6 abdominal ultrasounds, 3-4 testicular ultrasounds, numerous head CTs and MRIs, etc. All negative except for incidental findings of no significance (those increase as you get older). I do "obsess" over this belly pain and want it to go away, but I am more terrified of the scan and possible ominous results. The more I think about it, there has been more imaging than I just mentioned. There were also heart echos, EKGs, a Holter monitor, etc. All negative. That's too much, right?

My biggest fear, I suppose, is that I am 43. How am I going to deal with this in my 50s and 60s? - when the chances of there being a real disease increase from "unlikely," to "ehh, maybe."

Re: Repeat imaging and "giving in" (CT abdomen)

You're right...You are having way too many tests/scans. Your doctor should "mind" that you are "giving in " to your health anxiety and he is partly responsible for enabling the HA to continue unchallenged because he could refuse to order these tests.

My "rule" is that I only want to have tests if my GP thinks that there is a clinical need. Not for "reassurance" purposes. I'm in my sixties now. By your criteria in the "danger zone" but actually..being in control of my HA is empowering and I know that I will be taken seriously if I have a significant health concern.

I'm actually glad I got it. The scan showed acute diverticulitis that needs to be treated. I guess the lesson is just to trust the doctor.

Quote Originally Posted by Flapj View Post
    My biggest fear, I suppose, is that I am 43. How am I going to deal with this in my 50s and 60s? - when the chances of there being a real disease increase from "unlikely," to "ehh, maybe."
    I am really struggling with this recently too. I've had health anxiety my entire life and I used to be able to assure myself with "you're 20, you're not having a heart attack". But now that I've hit my 30s I feel I can't do that anymore. I know I'm still quite young but I'm having such a hard time and feel the same way as you, how on earth am I going to cope when I get to an age where health issues are more likely???

We've been abed too long, all our weaknesses are growing strong. But the winter always ends with water on your lips, the April rain comes swinging in.

Quote Originally Posted by Flapj View Post
    I'm actually glad I got it. The scan showed acute diverticulitis that needs to be treated. I guess the lesson is just to trust the doctor.
    I have had ultrasound and a CT scan with contrast, FIT test, Blood tests, enzyme tests for colon and pancreatic cancer.

Nothing on any of them, yet pain in bowels and side of back.

Wish I knew what was causing it!

I'm glad they found a cause for you which I hope helps

Thread Information