Thread: Blood test phobia

Blood test phobia

Hi,
    I am sure this is a common one but I am terrified of blood tests. I do not even need a blood test but am preoccupied with the thought that I may at some point. I had a traumatic couple of days in hospital as a child where they put in a drip and this may be the root of it.
    I have fainted numerous times over the years due to this (but not for the last 12 years). I just wonder can it be overcome? Strangely I have no fear of getting injections - vaccines etc. so its not the actual needle. Its the blood test itself and the sensation of it. Cannot allow myself to think about it for long. I have had two babies and, consequently, two sets of blood tests and these are my biggest gift to my children! When I got pregnant the second time I feared the test more that labour and birth.
    Is this a hopeless case? Anyone any experiences?

Re: Blood test phobia

hiya milly

i am just the same i hate getting the done i am allways scared of what the result will be i put them off as much as i can (i know not good)but i just wanted to say this can get better my mum was the same as us and since her panic and anx has got better so has the fear of blood tests

jodie xxxx

If you lay down it really helps - I used to feel faint giving blood but don't now.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Can i just say that if you have only had to have two sets of blood tests while having your children, then you have been very, very lucky, lol. I cannot count the amount of blood tests that i had to have having my three but it was a lot more than two. Dont know how you managed to get away with that one, they must have liked you. I remember one occasion when the midwife took a 20 ml syringe full from me one morning and my hubby said to her: Good grief, her toes are shrivelling up! lol. I don't think anyone REALLY likes having a blood test but unfortunately at some point we have too. You are definately not alone on this one.x

I agree with Nic , Lay down and have your blood done .

I have to have mine done today and Im not looking forward to it but I just talk alot , trying to ignor whats going on....also DONT LOOK !

Hey Milly.

I've heard of this before and yes, you can get therapy to help with it. CBT for blood phobia is different to other CBT - but it can be helped!!

Laying down is a good suggestion. Also, you could try asking for some local anaesthetic cream. It's called EMLA or Ametop and you put it on about 45 minutes before the test - you won't feel a thing. So if you don't look and can't feel it.....you won't even know it's being done!

Hope that helps xxx

I had never had a problem with this until i started getting panic attacks,
    I have had to have loads of blood tests since being diagnosed with an overactive thyroid sometimes once a month. Now when it is due i get really scared but i do not know why, i have never fainted but i think my fear of fainting is so great that i start feeling bad when i know i have to have one done.
    I have cancelled loads of appointments because i could not face it. But some how in the end i force myself as i know its the only way to check my thyroid function.
    I just talk constantly to the nurse about family etc she probably gets fed up with me babbling on but it helps to take my mind off it and when its done i practically run out of the surgery and am fine until the next time, when i have to go through it all again.
    Helen

Hey there

I was scared of them for years and getting greally bad when I was diagnosed with a thyroid condition and needed regular tests to keep me in good health.

I admit it wasn't easy, but I dealt with it myself in the end. I still get nervous, but the best thing you can do is find a doctor or nurse you trust. My GP knows I'm scared, so he always does them for me which really helps as I hate going to the hospital to get them done. If they are done properly you really don't feel much at all, although I'm sure if your like me it's more the thought of blood being sucked out of your veins than any pain.

I've had a LOT of blood tests in my time, and only one was what I'd call a 'bad experience': I freaked out and fainted because my blood was sticky and wouldn't come out, and this made me shudder and panic. Later, I found out that the only reason this had happened was that I had been drinking a lot of alcohol and not enough water the days before the test (just after xmas!) so I was totally de-hydrated. For this reason I always advise anyone who's scared to drink loads and it'll be a lot easier.

Weirdly, the one thing I really *can't* get over is the sort of blood test they do by pricking your finger. I completely will NOT have this done. It's often only a pin prick test that is needed, but I hate them so much that I've actually persuaded drs in the past to take blood out of my vein instead. I'm sure many people would be completely the other way, but the main thing is knowing that you can be in control of these situations.

So I guess what I'm saying is if there's a way of doing it that you prefer, or someone you trust who can do it, it makes it a LOT easier.

Thread Information