Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Want to know who you are talking to?

Hi,

My names robert and i am currently going through the worst stage of my life!! I'm 24 and i am having what appears to be panic attacks or something similar. I have had tests done on my heart and they came back all clear. I have been like this for 6 months now. I feel like i can't do anything i used to. My first Panic attack happened when i was driving back from work on the M1 at 23.00 at night. It was the most scared i have ever been, i was so glad to get back to my flat alive.. It felt like i was having a heart attack!!

I have been seeing my GP for 6 months now and i have only just been prescibed some drugs (beta Blockers) He tried me on anti depress drugs, but i was'nt depressed. Only been on them for 2 weeks so can not tell if they are working. Unfortunatly i lost my job because of the panic attacks, so i'm pretty much house bound at the mo. Trying to build my confidence back from these attacks.

I've just started to do some running to get me out of my flat. Seems to be working!!

If anyone has any thoughts to help me get through this hard time i would love to here from you!!

Thanks

Robert

hi everyone[8)]
    im caz im 31 and i have been suffering panic attacks on and off for nearly 12yrs:( the first time was pretty frightning but lasted only 6mths or so i took them again when i was 25 and had 2 small children too care for and this time they lasted for a few years u name it i sufferd from it stress,etemephobia,social phobia,agraphobia,fear of choking fear of dying,fear for my kids they just snowballed i felt like a freak i tried hypnotherapy,shen,counceling that and some venlaflaxine and they finally came under control its scary getting them once but getting them again like that after several years really knocked me for six,not happy for twice theyve now come back a third time to haunt me i worry that my kids who are now 8 and 11 will pick up on these fears too theyre not as severe as the last time but i know i have 2 get a grip or they could be but i just take 1 day at a time now and try too keep smiling

caroline barnie

Hi Robert and Caroline,

Hopefully reading other people's messages on here will help you- It made me feel better knowing I wasn't alone!
    I suffer mainly at night- it must be really hard having attacks in the day aswell.
    Robert- sorry u lost ur job. But it's great that you can go out running and keep active. I need to get into something like that too- mainly to help me sleep at night. :-s

Hope things improve for u caroline, if ever you want to chat, just mail me. Same goes to anyone,
    love from Jo x

To cease smoking is the easiest thing I ever did: I ought to know because I've done it a thousand times.

Mark Twain

Hi everyone.....my name is Lizzie and I live in Derbyshire.My first panic attack came right out the blue about 9 or 10 years ago.I went straight to A&E thinking it was a heart attack only to be told " go home and have some cocoa, it's a panic attack" This made me feel far worse because I'd never heard of them and felt sure they had missed something.
    I have learnt so much about anxiety since then.I even went on a course to find out how to manage anxiety and to live as "normal" a
    life as possible.
    I have never taken any form of medication believing only in self help,natural remedies and alternative therapies but I do believe that you have to do or take whatever works for you.
    I hate having anxiety and often look at other people wishing I could be them.It is a curse on my life and I wonder why it had to be me or what did I do so wrong to deserve it? But I tell myself to be positive and to appreciate the support I have recieved and the good friends I've made throughout it all.

Best Wishes to you all.........Lizzie

PS It's a fantastic site.I wish it had been around when I first started with Anxity/Panic Attacks.Keep up the good work.

Hi Lizzie

Thanks for the kind comments about the site :-) I am always here to help so please come back soon.

Nic

Hi Nic
    Can you tell me whether Reiki really works ? I am very keen on alternative therapies and have heard alot about this one. Can it help to aleviate the symptoms ?
    Any info would be gratefully received.
    Lizzie

Lizzie - I really enjoyed Reiki but I only had 3 sessions before the lady that did it became ill and gave up work for a while. It is very relaxing and you get a lovely warm feeling. Whether it helped or not is hard to say but I certainly enjoyed the chance of laying still and quiet for an hour and relaxing. It did make me a feel a bit weird afterwards but apparently that is quiet normal as the body is healing itself. You really need to try a course of say 6 treatments to see if you feel any benefit. I haven't tried it since but would consider doing it again definitely.

Hope this helps

Nic

Thanks Nic.I will have to look out a decent Reiki therapist as I'm sure there are some pretty dodgy ones about.
    Can you also tell me about the chat room? I have been there most evenings and seem to be the only one.What is the best time to come along and join in?
    Thanks
    Lizzie

Hi Lizzie.
    I can get some info on Reiki therapists from the women that did mine if you like. She may know someone near you. Where do you live?

The chat room - I not usually there till after 8pm and sometimes as late as 9. Others come in at various times during the evening. Friday is usually quite busy as well. Hope to see you there soon. Nic

Hi Nic
    I live in Derbyshire. If the woman you had could recommend someone that would be really helpful.
    I will certainly try the chat room again...hopefully I won't be the only one this time now I know when the best time to come in is.
    Thanks so much for your help.
    Lizzie

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information